116 3rd St SE
Cedar Rapids, Iowa 52401
CEDAR RAPIDS — The Cedar River is likely to rise in the coming days, but not enough to cause any significant flooding concerns.
'With the projected rainfall, we could see rises of possibly two to four feet in the next couple days,' said Brian Pierce, meteorologist with the National Weather Service in the Quad Cities.
As of midday Wednesday, the Cedar River at Cedar Rapids was at 6.04 feet, nearly 6 feet below flood stage, according to RiverGages.com. The National Weather Service is projecting the river level will actual drop slightly until midday Friday before climbing to a crest of 9.9 feet between Sunday and Monday before falling again.
Justin Koller, sewer operations manager for the city, said there will be some impacts in Cedar Rapids should the river reach 8 feet or more.
'At 8 feet, we would close Fish Court off of Old River Road SW and Robbins Lake off of Ellis Boulevard NW,' Koller said.
Koller said the city will follow it's flood manual should the river go beyond 10 feet or more, which appears unlikely at this point.
'We have to see how much rain we get,' he said. 'As we approach and as we monitor the river stage, then we will pre-emptively react using the flood manual.'
Pierce said there was a 50 percent chance of storms and thunderstorms beginning Wednesday night and continuing into Thursday.
'Then, it looks like we finally get a chance to dry out Thursday night and Friday,' he said.
Rain looks to return to the area Friday night, with a 40 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms Friday and a 60 percent chance Saturday and Saturday night.
'It looks like we're in a pattern here where we're going to be wet for a while,' Pierce said.
The amount the river rises will be predicated on where the rain falls. Pierce said the heavier rain falls should be south of the Cedar Rapids metro area.