116 3rd St SE
Cedar Rapids, Iowa 52401
IOWA CITY — Nine Iowa City businesses failed an alcohol compliance check by the Iowa City Police Department over the weekend.
The police department conducted the alcohol sales law compliance checks at 33 businesses Saturday. Underage individuals, working with plainclothes officers, entered the business and attempted to buy alcohol beverages illegally.
Police said in a news release 24 business refused to sell alcohol to the underage individuals. The nine businesses that failed the checks were:
- Kirkwood Liquor & Tobacco, 300 Kirkwood Ave.
- Casey’s, 1904 Broadway St.
- Hawkeye Convenience, 2875 Commerce Dr.
- Urban Fuel Express, 2580 Moss Ridge Rd.
- Shakespeare’s, 819 First Ave.
- Creekside Market, 2601 Highway 6 East
- El Ray’s Live & Dive, 211 E. Iowa Ave.
- DC’s Bar, 124 S. Dubuque St.
- TCB, 114 E. College St.
The employees who sold alcohol to the underage buyers were charged with selling alcohol to persons underage, a simple misdemeanor punishable with a $645 fine for the first offense.
Violations will be forwarded to the Iowa Alcoholic Beverages Division for possible civil penalties against the liquor license, Iowa City police said in a news release.
Comments: (319) 339-3155; email@example.com