116 3rd St SE
Cedar Rapids, Iowa 52401
MARION — The section of Marion Boulevard that was closed for the installation of a new pedestrian bridge is now back open ahead of schedule.
The road reopened Wednesday after the girders for the bridge were installed. Currently, the outside lanes remain closed as construction progresses.
The maximum 80 percent federal payout for the bridge is $1,373,172, according to associate city planner Kesha Billings. The city will pay for the other 20 percent.
After the project has been accepted by the Iowa Department of Transportation, artistic design elements will be added by Marion artist Cara Briggs Farmer.
The bridge is part of the long-awaited CeMar Trail project that will connect downtown Cedar Rapids and Uptown Marion. Peterson Contractors began work Nov. 18.
The Marion portion of the CeMar Trail project is expected to cost $6.7 million, with 80 percent of the overall project coming from federal funding.
The project got underway in summer 2020 when construction closed the trail between Thomas and Donnelly parks to build the first pedestrian bridge over Indian Creek.
The Marion portion of the trail project has five phases for renovating and paving existing trails as well as adding new ones.
Once completed, the trail will be seven miles long, with about four of those miles in Marion. The entire project is expected to be completed in 2022 or 2023.
Comments: (319) 398-8255; firstname.lastname@example.org