116 3rd St SE
Cedar Rapids, Iowa 52401
The Iowa Democratic Party was releasing some of the results of the Iowa caucuses on Tuesday afternoon, but when the complete results would be released was unknown.
'My paramount concern is making sure these results are accurate,' Iowa Democratic Party Chairman Troy Price said during a news conference Tuesday afternoon, just before some of the results were released — nearly 24 hours after voting concluded.
At 4 p.m., the party released results from 62% of precincts. The party said the remaining 38% would be released eventually but did not say when.
With 62% of precincts reporting, Pete Buttigieg was leading the delegate count with 27%, followed by Bernie Sanders with 25% and Elizabeth Warren with 18%.
Joe Biden had 16%, Amy Klobuchar 13% and Andrew Yang with 1%. Others fell below 1%.
While campaigns were eager to spin the results to their advantage, there was little immediate indication that the incomplete results eased the confusion and concern that loomed over the opening contest of the Democrats 2020 presidential primary season.
It was unclear when Iowa's full results would be released.
During a private conference call with campaigns earlier in the day, state party chairman Troy Price declined to answer pointed questions about the specific timeline — even whether it would be a matter of days or weeks.
"We have been working day and night to make sure these results are accurate," Price said at a subsequent press conference.
The leading candidates pressed on in next-up New Hampshire, which votes in just seven days, as billionaire Democrat Michael Bloomberg sensed opportunity, vowing to double his already massive advertising campaign and expand his sprawling staff focused on a series of delegate-rich states voting next month.
The party's caucus crisis was an embarrassing twist after months of promoting the contest as a chance for Democrats to find some clarity in a jumbled field with no clear front-runner. Instead, after a buildup that featured seven rounds of debates, nearly $1 billion spent nationwide and a year of political jockeying, caucus day ended with no winner, no official results and many fresh questions about whether Iowa can retain its coveted "first" status.
Iowa marked the first contest in a primary season that will span all 50 states and several U.S. territories, ending at the party's national convention in mid-July.
The Associated Press contributed to this story