116 3rd St SE
Cedar Rapids, Iowa 52401
A Linn County contractor will begin clearing derecho storm damage from Indian and Wanatee creeks this month.
Crews from Ceres Environmental, which have been clearing storm debris from county property and homes in rural areas, was awarded the contract to clear the creeks.
The goal is to prevent damage to downstream bridges and lessen the chance of flooding.
It’s expected the crews will clear an estimated 1,300 cubic yards of debris from county waterways, according to a county news release.
Work is scheduled to begin May 17 and may include lane closures and traffic flaggers.
Waterway debris removal will take place near Andre, Bertram, Lucore, Rosedale, Wanatee Creek and Tissel Hollow roads.
The county will be contacting property owners to obtain permission for cleanup crews to enter their property, if necessary.
A grant from the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Natural Resources Conservation Service will provide 75 percent of the project funding, leaving Linn County with the remaining 25 percent of the cost, or $48,273.
To qualify for federal funding, the county had to show the waterway storm debris was likely to damage a bridge or cause flooding and that the cost of removal is less than the cost of repair, the release said.
Comments: (319) 398-8255; firstname.lastname@example.org