116 3rd St SE
Cedar Rapids, Iowa 52401
There’s much more to frogs than hopping and ribbiting.
Some frogs swallow their tadpoles and later cough tiny, fully formed frogs out of their mouths. Some freeze in the winter, only to come back to life in the spring. The Glass Frog’s skin is so see-through you can see its heart beating.
1. Frogs coexisted with the dinosaurs. How long have frogs hopped the Earth?
A. 100 years
B. More than 1 billion years
C. 2 million years
D. More than 200 million years
2. What’s the difference between a frog and a toad?
A. Toads are frogs that have drier skin and warts
B. Toads are frogs that have shorter hind legs
C. Just like in the books, toads take life more seriously
D. Both A and B
3. From how far away can you hear a frog’s ribbit?
A. 10 feet away
B. 1 mile away
C. 5 miles away
D. 20 miles away
4. Why are some frogs brightly colored?
A. To help attract a mate
B. To communicate to predators that they are poisonous
C. To look dangerous, even if they are not actually poisonous
D. Both B and C
5. Some frogs look a certain way to blend into their environment. Some species are brown as mud, while others have spots. What can we call an animal that looks like its environment?
6. The world’s biggest frog is the goliath frog. How big is it?
A. 2 pounds, about as heavy as two cans of soup
B. 7 pounds, about as heavy as a table lamp
C. One-third of a pound, about as heavy as an apple
D. 15 pounds, about as heavy as a coffee table
7. One of the smallest frogs in the world is the Cuban tree toad. How big is it?
A. Half an inch, about the size of a dime
B. 2 inches, about the size of a baseball
C. 10 inches, about the size of a pizza
D. 1 inch, about the size of a quarter
8. Frogs shed their skin weekly. What do they usually do with their old skin?
A. Eat it
B. Use it to build shelter
C. Give it to a potential mate
D. Wear it as a coat
9. Frogs eat insects, worms, caterpillars — some bigger frogs even eat mice! What do frogs do to help them swallow their meals?
A. Tap their feet
B. Stick their tongues out
C. Blink, to push the food down their throat
D. Both A and B
10. A group of frogs is called:
A. A herd
B. A swarm
C. A litter
D. An army
Answers: 1. D, 2. D, 3. B, 4. D, 5. C, 6. B, 7. A, 8. B, 9. C, 10. D