116 3rd St SE
Cedar Rapids, Iowa 52401
One of the best ways to release energy is to get our hearts pumping. You can do that easily and efficiently in any backyard, no fancy equipment required.
A circuit is a bunch of exercises done one after the other. Head outside — or makes lots of room in your living room — to try this one. If you’re not tired after one circuit, do two or three! We recommend challenging a grown-up, or at least asking one to supervise you.
1. Jog around your yard or in place for two minutes. This will help warm up your whole body and should elevate your heart rate. As a challenge, try to kick your butt as you run.
2. Do 10 squats. Stand somewhere flat with your feet a little more than shoulder-width apart, then pretend you’re sitting down in an invisible chair. Go so far down your knees make 90-degree angles, then stand back up.
3. Do a high-knee run for 45 seconds. Hold your hands out in front of you and try to get your knees high enough to hit them.
4. Hold a plank for 15 seconds. Get down on the ground like you’re about to do a pushup. Place your hands directly beneath your shoulders and make your back as flat as possible. Can you feel your belly and your abs working to hold you still?
5. Do five burpees. Start standing up, then squat down and put your hands on the ground. Jump your feet back so you’re in a plank. Then jump back to a squat and stand up. That’s one — do four more and start all over!