116 3rd St SE
Cedar Rapids, Iowa 52401
CEDAR RAPIDS - Friends of Cedar Rapids Prairie senior Marty Borseth questioned why teammate Joah Banks was ranked 'only” 10th in the state in the 110 hurdles.
Borseth chuckled, because he knew what was coming for the defending Class 4A boys' track and field state champion.
'I said, ‘Just wait until today. He's going to kick it off today,'” Borseth said before the host Hawks won the Hawkins Relays for the second year in a row with 138.5 points Tuesday at John Wall Field. 'And he did that. I'm proud of that man.”
Banks blistered the field in the high hurdles with a sub-14 second time of 13.97, the best fully-automatic event time in state history and nine hundredths of a second faster than the 14.06 that won him the state title a year ago.
'I didn't believe it when my coach told me that,” said Banks, who defeated defending 3A state runner-up JoJo Frost of Center Point-Urbana by 43 hundredths of a second. 'I definitely think I can go faster, that's for sure. … The whole race, I'm just thinking about getting my feet back down on the ground as fast as I can. Just snapping that lead leg down. That's my biggest thing in the race.”
Banks and Borseth have been instrumental senior leaders for a Prairie team that graduated several key pieces from the squad that claimed the 4A team state title last season. After falling to Iowa City West in three meets earlier this season, the Hawks won five events and bettered the runner-up Trojans by over 20 points.
'Our seniors got together a couple of weeks back and they just said, ‘Everybody gets better every day and trust the process,'” Prairie Coach Bill Schwarz said. 'They've really brought the team along. … The group is jelling and week by week, meet by meet, they're getting better.”
Banks also anchored a shuttle hurdle relay win with Chavi Parks, Mike Jasa and Caleb Fuller. The time of 58.08 seconds ranks third in the state. Borseth anchored the victorious 800 relay with Anthony Pearson, Mason Johnson and first-year participant Tyrel Johnson in 1:33.35.
'We're taking the next step,” Borseth said. 'We're going hard in practice every day because we know we have to step up because we know we lost all those key guys, so we've got to step up and hit it.”
Prairie senior Matt Lorenz - who has been battling a groin injury all season - led off a victorious 3,200 relay time of 8:15.95 that included Robert Laue, Luke Huedepohl and Max Laue. Fellow senior Cameron Steffens won the 3,200 run in 10:00.09.
At John Wall Field
1. Cedar Rapids Prairie 138.5; 2. Iowa City West 108; 3. Marion 103.5; 4. Linn-Mar 89.5; 5. Cedar Rapids Jefferson 69.5; 6. Cedar Rapids Xavier 66; 7. Center Point-Urbana 48; 8. North Scott 21.
High jump -
1. Blair Brooks (Mar), 6-05.50; 2. Marty Borseth (CRP), 6-03.50; 3. Trey Hutcheson (LM), 5-11.50.
Long jump -
1. Blair Brooks (Mar), 22-05.00-*; 2. Austin West (ICW), 20-07.00; 3. Owen Carstensen (Mar), 20-02.00.
1. Jonathan Gannon (ICW), 147-09; 2. Riley Higgins (LM), 140-11.50; 3. Blake Ealy (ICW), 138-08.50.
Shot put -
1. Josh Volk (CRX), 49-02.00; 2. Baylor Pree (LM), 48-00.00; 3. Keenan Stewart (CRJ), 47-02.00.
Sprint medley relay -
1. Marion (Ryan Bettenga, Owen Carstensen, Gant Meth, Chris Mohwinkle), 1:38.43-*; 2. C.R. Jefferson (Braxton Bolden, Mitchell Hall, Ezeki Leggins, Kyran Ligon), 1:39.31; 3. C.R. Xavier (Jon Rocca, Kaiden Cuevas, Cole Goerdt, Jax Junge), 1:39.61.
3,200 run -
1. Cameron Steffens (CRP), 10:00.09; 2. Elijah Vlasek (CRP), 10:10.79; 3. Joe Scieszinski (CRX), 10:27.03.
3,200 relay -
1. C.R. Prairie (Matt Lorenz, Robert Laue, Luke Huedepohl, Max Laue), 8:15.95; 2. C.R. Xavier (Josh Gerke, Beau Van Berkum, Grayson Walther, Nathan Skala), 8:24.29; 3. I.C. West (Andrew Rompot, Yousif Salama, Joey Goodman, Nick Johnson), 8:46.63.
Shuttle hurdle relay -
1. C.R. Prairie (Chavi Parks, Mike Jasa, Caleb Fuller, Joah Banks), 58.08-*; 2. Linn-Mar (Zeal Baker, Trent Davis, Nick House, Logan Clark), 58.63; 3. I.C. West (Max Hill, Javonte Williams, Cole Mabry, Austin West), 59.43.
100 dash -
1. JoJo Frost (CPU), 11.04; 2. Marty Borseth (CRP), 11.31; 3. Josue Bokoyo (CRJ), 11.33.
Distance medley relay -
1. North Scott (Tony Barreca, Paul Leahy, Clayton Neff, Marcus Padilla), 3:46.97; 2. C.R. Prairie (Gavin Haugen, Tareek Cook, Chandler Frieden, Karter Griffin), 3:46.97; 3. C.R. Jefferson (Logan Klein, Kyran Ligon, Trenton Yancey, David Niyogushima), 3:53.81.
400 dash -
1. Nate Jelinek (ICW), 53.69; 2. Alex Wade (CPU), 55.09; 3. Mason Sorge (ICW), 55.20.
800 relay -
1. C.R. Prairie (Anthony Pearson, Tyrel Johnson, Mason Johnson, Marty Borseth), 1:33.35; 2. C.R. Jefferson (Josue Bokoyo, Braxton Bolden, Ezeki Leggins, Mitchell Hall), 1:33.62; 3. Marion (Isaac Cechota, Chris Mohwinkle, Grant Meth, Owen Carstensen), 1:35.20.
110 hurdles -
1. Joah Banks (CRP), 13.97; 2. JoJo Frost (CPU), 14.40; 3. Zeal Baker (LM), 14.81.
800 run -
1. Derek Nugent (ICW), 1:58.50; 2. Myles Bach (Mar), 2:00.12; 3. Jeff Garbutt (ICW), 2:00.96.
200 dash -
1. Austin West (ICW), 22.79; 2. Josue Bokoyo (CRJ), 22.95; 3. Ryan Bettenga (Mar), 23.92.
400 hurdles -
1. Nick House (LM), 56.19; 2. Blair Brooks (Mar), 56.68; 3. Chavi Parks (CRP), 57.58.
1,600 run -
1. Jeremy Fopma (Mar), 4:30.34; 2. Myles Bach (Mar), 4:36.96; 3. Colton LaGrange (CRP), 4:40.21.
400 relay -
1. C.R. Jefferson (Braxton Bolden, Mitchell Hall, Ezeki Leggins, Josue Bokoyo), 44.85; 2. Linn-Mar (Lucas Schmitt, Alex Hess, Tyler Hungate, Jaidyn Williams), 45.28; 3. C.R. Prairie (Cortez Riggins, Gavin Haugen, Jaron Lathrop, Anthony Pearson), 45.48.
1,600 relay -
1. Center Point-Urbana (Devin Smith, Blake Lindsey, Jon Karteus, JoJo Frost), 3:26.41; 2. I.C. West (Cole Mabry, Austin West, Derek Nugent, Jeff Garbutt), 3:27.07; 3. C.R. Prairie (Mason Johnson, Tyrel Johnson, Edwin Gehy, Marty Borseth), 3:30.05.
*- meet record
l Comments: firstname.lastname@example.org