116 3rd St SE
Cedar Rapids, Iowa 52401
Home / Sports / Iowa Hawkeyes / Iowa Football
Fun Facts: Wisconsin-Iowa, the Ashton Kutcher edition
Coralville can claim to be the heart of the Heartland, but the trophy is bull
Wisconsin and Iowa. Poultry and pork. La Crosse and LeClaire.
1. This is the first time neither team went into this game ranked since 2013.
2. Wisconsin hasn’t had a losing season since 2001. Only Boise State and Oklahoma have longer active streaks.
3. Last week, Iowa became the first team to hold Purdue without a touchdown since Wisconsin did it in 2017, a stretch of 62 games.
4. Maryland and Wisconsin passed for just 77 yards apiece in the Badgers’ 23-10 win over the Terrapins last Saturday in Madison.
5. Wisconsin has won eight of its last 10 games against Iowa.
6. Badger sophomore running back Braelon Allen has rushed for at least 113 yards in each of his last four games. Hawkeye freshman Kaleb Johnson has rushed for 293 yards over his last two games.
7. Allen needs 11 yards to give Wisconsin its 26th 1,000-yard rusher in the last 30 years and become its fifth freshman to rush for 1,000 as both a freshman and sophomore.
8. Johnson is the first Hawkeye freshman since to have two 100-yard rushing games since Marcus Coker in 2010.
9. Iowa has been outgained by 15 yards this season.
10. The Hawkeyes are third nationally in fewest yards allowed per play, third in total defense, fourth in fewest offensive touchdowns allowed, fifth in scoring defense and passing efficiency defense.
11. Wisconsin is second in the nation in interceptions with 15.
12. Iowa has 12 straight wins in Novembers. Wisconsin is 39-8 in Novembers since 2010.
13. Wisconsin was picked first and Iowa second in the Big Ten West in a preseason media poll. Division-leader Illinois was picked sixth.
14. Maryland scored at least 27 points in each of its previous 10 games before it was held to 10 at Wisconsin last Saturday.
15. Iowa and Wisconsin have a combined six fourth-down conversions. Texas Tech and Baylor have a combined 46.
16. This game is for the Heartland Trophy, a bronzed bull. The rivalry was 110 years old before the trophy was created.
17. Coralville has a Heartland Inn, a Heartland Bank and Trust, a trucking business called Heartland Express, a street called Heartland Drive, and a pro hockey team called the Iowa Heartlanders. Wisconsin has a city named Hartland.
18. East Dubuque, Ill., is nearer the capitals of Iowa and Wisconsin than the one of its own state, Springfield.
19. The USS Wisconsin is an Iowa-class battleship. The Iowa class was a class of six fast battleships ordered by the U.S. Navy in 1939 and 1940. The USS Iowa was the lead ship of her class. It is retired and is located in San Pedro, Calif.
20. Iowa native Ashton Kutcher was in the cast of “That ‘70s Show.” It was set in Wisconsin.
Comments: (319) 398-8440; firstname.lastname@example.org