Looking for something to do this weekend? We’ve compiled the best bets this weekend in the Cedar Rapids and Iowa City areas, plus 10 other events that are either free or under $20:
Fire on the River
Nothing will be draggin’ when the Cedar Boat Club presents drag boat races Saturday (Sept. 7) on the Cedar River at Ellis Park. The annual Fire on the River revs up at 1 p.m., but test-and-tune starts around 10 a.m. The main event features bracket racing for all boats, with classes starting at 45 mph and under, on up to more than 100 mph. The course ranges from 800 to 1,000 feet, with two racers at a time. The public can sit in the bleachers or bring chairs and blankets to view the event along the course just downriver from Ellis Harbor.
• When: 1 to 5 p.m. Saturday (9/7)
• Where: Ellis Boat Harbor, 1700 Ellis Blvd. NW, Cedar Rapids
• Cost: Free
• Details: Cedarboatclub.org
Nick Jr. Live!
Get ready to “Move to the Music” as Dora and her “Paw Patrol” co-hosts, Marshall and Rubble, invite their Nick Jr. friends to unite for a music-filled production premiering in Cedar Rapids on Saturday (Sept. 7). Join Molly and Gil from “Bubble Guppies,” Rod and Penny from “Top Wing,” twins Shimmer and Shine, and Blue from the new “Blue’s Clues & You” as they throw a Nick Jr. celebration. Audiences will be transported to familiar Nick Jr. locations, including Bubbletucky and Zahramay Falls. The fun fest has live appearances, on-screen guests and audience participation for all ages.
• When: 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. Saturday (9/7)
• Where: Paramount Theatre, 123 Third Ave. SE, Cedar Rapids
• Cost: $21 to $102 VIP
• Tickets: Paramount Ticket Office, (319) 366-8203 or Paramounttheatrecr.com
Iowa City Dog Paddle
City Park Pool is going to the dogs Sunday afternoon (Sept. 8), so canines can practice their paddle, play fetch or otherwise frolic in the waters before the facility is drained for the season. A small-pool option is available for smaller breeds. Friendly pooches only, please, and they must have proof of current rabies vaccine via certificate. Humans must be age 12 and over to participate; kids under age 12 aren’t allowed in the pool area. Funds raised will benefit animals at the Iowa City Animal Care and Adoption Center.
• When: 1 to 5 p.m. Sunday (9/8)
• Where: City Park Pool, 200 E. Park Rd., Iowa City
• Cost: $10 before Sept. 6, $15 door, up to two dogs perform
• Details: Facf.org/dog-paddle/
Five free events:
• Sketch Nite, free, 5 to 6:30 p.m. Thursday (9/5), Museum of Natural History, Bird Hall, 10 Macbride Hall, Iowa City
• Yoga Basics, free, 5:45 to 6:30 p.m. Thursday (9/5), Cultivate Hope Urban Farm, 437 G Ave. NW, Cedar Rapids
• Uptown Fall Fest & Dog Fashion Show, free, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday (9/7), Uptown Marion District, Seventh Avenue, Marion
ARTICLE CONTINUES BELOW ADVERTISEMENT
• Motor Mill Art Show, free, noon to 4 p.m. Saturday (9/7), Motor Mill Historic Site, 23002 Grain Rd., Elkader
• Eighth Annual Nightcrawler Night Ride, free, 6 p.m. to midnight Saturday (9/7), Kickstand, 203 16th Ave. SE, Cedar Rapids
Five events under $20
• Grown-Up Show-n-Tell, $5, 6 p.m. Thursday (9/5), The History Center, 800 Second Ave. SE, Cedar Rapids
• Healing with Hypnotherapy, $10, 6:30 to 7:30 p.m. Thursday (9/5) Illuminations, 329 10th Ave. SE, Suite 115, Cedar Rapids
• Ballroom and Latin Dancing, $4 to $8, 7:30 to 10:30 p.m. Friday (9/6), Old Brick, 26 E. Market St., Iowa City
• Late Summer Wapsi Float, $10, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday (9/7), Pinicon Ridge Park, 4729 Horseshoe Falls Rd., Central City
• Graham Elwood and Ron Placone, $15, 8 p.m. Sunday (9/8), Iowa City Yacht Club, 13 S. Linn St., Iowa City
Find more Things to Do at Hooplanow.com.