The curtain’s rising on new seasons on local stages, and for a new theatrical venture.
THEATRE CEDAR RAPIDS
Theatre Cedar Rapids will launch its 85th season with “My Fair Lady,” opening Sept. 14 in the auditorium.
Subscribers, donors and volunteers gathered Monday (3/19) to hear the full lineup of shows coming to the main stage and the Grandon Studio. Joining “My Fair Lady” are the following shows:
- “Intimate Apparel,” opening Oct. 26 in the Grandon Studio;
- “Elf the Musical,” opening Nov. 16 in the Auditorium;
- “The Full Monty,” opening Jan. 25 in the Auditorium;
- “Shakespeare in Love,” opening March 8 in the Auditorium;
- “Ada and the Memory Engine,” opening March 15 in the Grandon Studio;
- “The Hunchback of Notre Dame,” opening May 3, 2019, in the Auditorium;
- “Ripcord,” opening May 31, 2019, in the Grandon Studio;
- “Newsies,” opening June 28, 2019, in the Auditorium.
Season subscriptions are available for purchase now through TCR’s downloadable season brochure at Theatrecr.org. For more information, go to Theatrecr.org or call the box office at (319) 366-8591.
GIVING TREE THEATER
Tickets are on sale for these newly announced shows:
- “Noises Off,” March 30 to May 6
- “The Secret Garden,” June 8 to July 1
- “The Wolves,” July 13 to 29
- “She Kills Monsters,” Aug. 2 to 4
- “Crimes of the Heart,” Aug. 10 to 26
- “To Kill a Mockingbird,” Sept. 7 to 23
- “Present Laughter,” Oct. 5 to 21
- “Silent Sky,” Nov. 2 to 11
- “A Show of Gratitude,” Nov. 16 and 17
- “Santa Claus Conquers the Martians,” Nov. 23 to Dec. 16
- “Our Town,” Dec. 28 to Jan. 13
Packages: per person: 11 shows, general admission, $151 to $216; per couple: 11 shows, reserved love seat for two, $506; per group of four: 11 shows, reserved large sofa for four, $1012. To order, call (319) 213-7956 or go to Givingtreetheater.com
In residence at CSPS, a new theater company will produce Iowa-premiere plays with a contemporary edge. the inaugural season for Mirrorbox Theatre will feature Iowa premieres of four productions that act as dramatic reflections on contemporary culture.
Presented by Legion Arts, the shows will be staged in C Space, the intimate black box theater on the ground floor of CSPS, 1103 Third St. SE, Cedar Rapids. Artistic director is Cavan Hallman.
“Mirrorbox embraces practical theatricality and intimate settings, as a way to illuminate new thinking and new writing that’s relevant to our lives today,” Hallman said. “We’re happy to join with Legion Arts in introducing Eastern Iowa audiences to the very best in contemporary art. Our two organizations also share a commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion, and to providing paid opportunities for local artists.”
ARTICLE CONTINUES BELOW ADVERTISEMENT
Coming from some of the most talked-about young playwrights at work today, Mirrorbox’s first season finds drama in such contemporary issues as school closures, foster care, performance-enhancing drugs, and sexual relationships in the workplace:
- “Exit Strategy” by Ike Holter, April 5 to 7
- “Red Speedo” by Lucas Hnath, May 24 to 26
- “Luna Gale” by Rebecca Gilman, Aug. 9 to 11
- “There Is A Happiness That Morning Is” by Mickle Maher, Nov. 1 to 3.
As a writer, director and performer, Hallman’s work has been staged in New York City, Chicago, New Orleans, Seattle and Ireland, where he taught acting and scriptwriting for the University of New Orleans. As writer and director for the Windy City Players, his plays have been performed nearly 20,000 times for an audience of more than 4 million.
Tickets for all Mirrorbox shows are $15 in advance or at the door, available at CSPS box office, (319) 364-1580 or Legionarts.org