Daylilies will meet bluegrass when Larry and Wilma Rettig open their gates for the first Daylily Festival at Cottage-in-the Meadow Gardens in South Amana. Visitors can see more than 500 daylily varieties; attend a daylily hybridization demonstration and class by the Rettigs from 10:30 to 11:30 a.m.; tour the gardens with the Rettigs from 3 to 4 p.m. and hear the Banjoy bluegrass band from 1 to 3 p.m. The gardens open at 10 a.m., and free daylily plants will be available while supplies last. Cottage-in-the-Meadow Gardens is listed in the Smithsonian’s Archive of American Gardens. Rain date: Sunday (7/15).
Daylilies to Bluegrass
10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday (7/14), Cottage-in-the-Meadow Gardens, 306 220th Trl., South Amana; freewill offering; Cottageinthemeadow.plantfans.com/
Want to join the conversation?
Consider subscribing to TheGazette.com and participate in discussing the important issues to our community with other Gazette subscribers.
Already a Gazette or TheGazette.com subscriber? Just login here with your account email and password.
MORE Hoopla ARTICLES TO READ NEXT ...
TOP STORIES FROM THE GAZETTE
- Iowa’s Austin DeSanto asserts himself at the buzzer against Rutgers’ Nick Suriano
- Tom Brady and Drew Brees battled Iowa Hawkeyes last century
- Checking in with Iowa D-line coach Reese Morgan
- Man in Waterloo standoff shot Cedar Rapids police officer in 1998
- Interactive: Explore shots-fired reports in Cedar Rapids from 2014 - 2018
- Ryan Kriener coming up big for Iowa basketball