Cedar Rapids Opera Theatre and the Cedar Rapids Museum of Art are joining forces to present the artistic inspirations behind the world premiere of “The Grant Wood Operas: Strokes of Genius,” onstage April 12 to 14 at Theatre Cedar Rapids. Museum of Art Executive Director Sean Ulmer and Associate Curator Kate Kunau will discuss the chosen Grant Wood pieces, and composers Jean-Francois Charles and Robert Lindsey-Nassif will explain how the specific works inspired their one-act operas. Charles looked to Wood’s Parisian creations, Nassif found inspiration in “American Gothic” and Michael Ching selected eight pieces, from a bench to “Sultry Night.”
Canvas & Composers
7 to 8 p.m. March 14, Cedar Rapids Museum of Art, 410 Third Ave. SE; free; Crma.org/Events/Default.aspx
Want to join the conversation?
Consider subscribing to TheGazette.com and participate in discussing the important issues to our community with other Gazette subscribers.
Already a Gazette or TheGazette.com subscriber? Just login here with your account email and password.
MORE Hoopla ARTICLES TO READ NEXT ...
TOP STORIES FROM THE GAZETTE
- Friday storms included 4 tornadoes in Iowa, some property damage, no injuries
- Iowa high school boys' soccer state tournament: 2019 brackets
- Rami Scheetz completes perfect season with Class 2A state tennis title
- Most grass-fed beef labeled ‘product of U.S.A.’ is imported
- Sports betting in Iowa? What a concept
- No. 1 Cedar Rapids Xavier routs Iowa City Liberty, earns 11th boys' state soccer appearance in a row