This year’s festival theme is “If You Build It, They Vel-Kommen.” The planners needn’t worry. Every year, more than 10,000 people flock to Decorah for three days of feasting and festing, Scandinavian style. All ages can experience a smorgasbord of traditional foods and crafts; a Viking encampment; Grand Parade at 10:30 a.m. Saturday along Water Street downtown; the Bunad Show of Norwegian folk costumes at 2 p.m. Saturday at the Hotel Winneshiek; entertainment from Nordic Dancers and Luren Singers to street dances with the Foot-Notes on Friday and Saturday nights; sporting events; and fireworks Saturday night. Festivities get underway tonight (7/25) with the opening ceremonies at 6:45 p.m. in Courthouse Square.
Today (7/25) to Saturday (7/27), Decorah; Nordicfest.com
MORE Hoopla ARTICLES TO READ NEXT ...
TOP STORIES FROM THE GAZETTE
- Ernst, Greenfield clash in first debate
- Iowa high school football rankings: Week 6 features showdowns throughout the state
- Son says former Iowa Gov. Terry Branstad ‘definitely in campaign mode’
- Fourth judge sides with Republicans in fight over absentee ballots
- Fact Checker: PAC ad attacks Mariannette Miller-Meeks over Obamacare
- Mercy Medical Center receives $2 million donation for new dementia care center