This year’s festival theme is “If You Build It, They Vel-Kommen.” The planners needn’t worry. Every year, more than 10,000 people flock to Decorah for three days of feasting and festing, Scandinavian style. All ages can experience a smorgasbord of traditional foods and crafts; a Viking encampment; Grand Parade at 10:30 a.m. Saturday along Water Street downtown; the Bunad Show of Norwegian folk costumes at 2 p.m. Saturday at the Hotel Winneshiek; entertainment from Nordic Dancers and Luren Singers to street dances with the Foot-Notes on Friday and Saturday nights; sporting events; and fireworks Saturday night. Festivities get underway tonight (7/25) with the opening ceremonies at 6:45 p.m. in Courthouse Square.
Today (7/25) to Saturday (7/27), Decorah; Nordicfest.com
Want to join the conversation?
Consider subscribing to TheGazette.com and participate in discussing the important issues to our community with other Gazette subscribers.
Already a Gazette or TheGazette.com subscriber? Just login here with your account email and password.
MORE Hoopla ARTICLES TO READ NEXT ...
TOP STORIES FROM THE GAZETTE
- Iowa men's basketball rallies from 12 points down to beat Wisconsin
- Iowa men's basketball vs. Wisconsin: Box score, highlights, live updates recap
- Magical Marion does it again, beats DeWitt Central in OT on buzzer beater
- Hy-Vee to buy former Shopkos in Eastern Iowa
- Grocery pain spreads as Lucky’s Market chain files bankruptcy
- Recruiting is a season within the season for Iowa's Fran McCaffery