116 3rd St SE
Cedar Rapids, Iowa 52401
Home / Living / Health & Wellness
Notes on Nutrition: Way cool ways to use whey protein powder
Jan. 27, 2023 6:00 am
Is that barely used container of whey protein powder haunting you from the kitchen cupboard? Maybe you went on a health kick, using it in smoothies for a nutrition boost. Or you tried that new recipe for protein pancakes and haven’t touched the powder since. The good news? There are plenty of exciting new ways to incorporate whey protein powder into your daily routine so that container doesn’t go to waste.
While there are several different types of protein powders on the market, using one with whey protein has several health benefits. Whey protein supports muscle growth by providing high-quality protein with essential amino acids, which serve as building blocks for increased muscle growth. Leucine, an amino acid found in high amounts in whey protein, helps start muscle building at a molecular level. Even if muscle growth isn’t on your list of concerns this year, whey protein is also absorbed and used quickly compared to other types of protein, making it a great choice when adequate protein is essential.
If you’re looking for a new whey protein powder to try, Performance Inspired packs a powerful nutritional punch with 25 grams of high-quality whey protein and natural branched-chain amino acids. Additionally, Performance Inspired uses a unique bloat-free formula with powerful digestive enzymes to support healthy digestion and rapid absorption of protein.
Protein powder isn’t just for smoothies anymore. Check out these ideas for fun ways to use the whey (no matter the flavor!) in your cupboard.
- Mix into your favorite pancake batter for an extra boost of protein and flavor. Try subbing any flavor protein powder into making Protein Pancakes (www.hy-vee.com/recipes-ideas/recipes/protein-pancakes).
- Add your favorite flavor protein powder to this Easy Fruit Dip (www.hy-vee.com/recipes-ideas/recipes/easy-fruit-dip).
- Tired of the same old boring smoothie? Take it up a notch and in place of vanilla use blueberry-flavored Performance Inspired whey in this delicious Blueberry Madness Protein Shake (www.hy-vee.com/recipes-ideas/recipes/blueberry-madness-protein-shake).
- Enhance your morning cup of Joe by adding a nutrition boost of protein. Check out how to make a delicious Cold Brew Coffee (www.hy-vee.com/recipes-ideas/recipes/cold-brew-coffee) and blend with your preferred flavor of Performance Inspired for a nutritious caffeine kick.
- Oatmeal is already a great option for breakfast, but you can take it up a notch further by adding in more flavor and protein with our Protein Mocha Overnight Oats (www.hy-vee.com/recipes-ideas/recipes/protein-mocha-overnight-oats) or Raspberry Protein Oats (www.hy-vee.com/recipes-ideas/recipes/raspberry-protein-oats).
Getting more protein just got easier and yummier with the help of Performance Inspired blueberry protein whey powder added into this delicious recipe below. You will have breakfast and snacks ready to fuel your day.
Blueberry Protein Muffin Tops
2 cups Kodiak Cakes Whole Wheat, Oat & Honey Frontier Flapjack & Waffle Mix OR Full Circle Market Protein Pancake and Waffle Mix
1/2 cup Performance Inspired blueberry protein whey powder
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 large egg
2 medium ripe bananas, mashed
1/3 cup granulated coconut sugar
1 cup fresh blueberries, or frozen, thawed
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a large bowl whisk together pancake and waffle mix, protein powder, baking powder and baking soda.
In a separate bowl, whisk together egg, mashed bananas and coconut sugar. Stir into pancake and protein powder mixture. Fold in blueberries.
Using a 2-inch scoop, drop dough 2-inches apart onto parchment-lined baking sheets. Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until golden. Cool on a wire cooling rack before serving.