116 3rd St SE
Cedar Rapids, Iowa 52401
Cy. Hawk. Fun. Facts.
1. The Hawkeyes won their last two games in Ames by three points (in overtime), and one point.
2. Iowa State is ranked No. 9 and Iowa No. 10. The Hawkeyes are 1-4 in AP top-10 matchups under Kirk Ferentz, with the lone win the 2010 Orange Bowl over Georgia Tech.
3. Iowa State has been in one top-10 matchup, a 49-7 loss at Oklahoma in 2002.
4. Adam Zucker of CBS Sports Network had Iowa fourth and Iowa State 19th on his AP Top 25 ballot. That was the highest pick for the Hawkeyes and lowest for the Cyclones. Ryan Thorburn of the Eugene Register-Guard had Iowa State sixth and Iowa 14th.
5. Iowa State has won 13 games as a ranked team since 2017. It won only 13 games as a ranked team from 1892-2016.
6. Iowa has won its last four games against ranked opponents (Minnesota and USC in 2019, Wisconsin in 2020, Indiana last week).
7. Over their last six games, the Cyclones have allowed a total of 16 second-half points.
8. The Hawkeyes haven’t had a turnover against Iowa State in their last five meetings.
9. Iowa’s Riley Moss and Iowa State’s Isheem Young are two of the nine players in the nation who intercepted two passes in the first game of the season. Moss’ 85 interception-return yards is tied for second behind the 127 of Boise State’s Tyric LeBeauf.
10. Only Arizona State, Texas Tech and Kent State topped Iowa’s three interceptions in Week 1. All had four. Kent State is Iowa’s opponent next week. The Golden Flashes picked off those passes at Texas A&M, and still lost 41-10.
11. Defensive coordinators Phil Parker of Iowa and Jon Heacock of Iowa State are Ohio natives and were once assistant coaches at Toledo.
12. This game’s starting quarterbacks are from California and Arizona. Its starting punters are both from Australia. Its starting centers? They’re from Solon and Ames.
13. ISU running back Breece Hall has a rushing touchdown in his last 13 games, the second-longest streak in Big 12 history. The record is 15, held by Missouri’s Corby Smith.
14. Over their last six games, Iowa State has allowed just 13.3 points per game, Iowa 13.7.
15. ABC telecast the Iowa State-Iowa game in 1977 that was the first between the two schools in 43 years. ABC will telecast Saturday’s game, the 43rd game between the two after that 1977 contest.
17. ABC’s Kirk Herbstreit was the senior starting quarterback for Ohio State in 1992 when it won at Iowa, 38-15. Herbstreit threw just nine passes, completing seven. “It was kind of nice,” he said after the game. “All I had to do was step back and watch the beauty of the offensive line blowing them off the ball.”
18. Lee Corso of ESPN College GameDay was Indiana’s coach in 1979 when the Hoosiers played Iowa in Hayden Fry’s first game as the Hawkeyes’ head coach. Indiana trailed 26-3 at halftime, but rallied for a 30-26 win.
19. Gold is a school color of both schools. Gold-mining is not an Iowa industry
20. Eric Church was the guest picker on ESPN’s College GameDay when it was in Ames two years ago for the Iowa-Iowa State game. Church is performing Saturday night at Country Thunder Florida in Kissimmee, Fla.
Comments: (319) 398-8440; firstname.lastname@example.org