116 3rd St SE
Cedar Rapids, Iowa 52401
CEDAR RAPIDS — A garden shed fire that was extinguished Monday night in northwest Cedar Rapids is being attributed to fireworks discharged in the area.
Firefighters were dispatched at 10:24 p.m. to 627 Bartlet Ct. NW for a report of a shed, trees and a fence on fire in the backyard, the fire department said.
When they arrived, firefighters found a 10- by-15-foot garden shed was fully involved in fire. Several large trees and 50 feet of a wooden fence were burning, as well.
The fire department said the shed owner and a neighbor reported seeing fireworks being discharged near the shed just before the fire.
Fire crews were able to extinguish the fire and prevent it from spreading to other property in the area, the fire department said.
The shed was destroyed. The fire department said property damage was estimated at $3,200.
The shed fire is the 11th fire in Cedar Rapids to be attributed to the illegal discharge of fireworks within city limits since Friday, the fire department said.
The discharge of fireworks in the city limits is prohibited, the fire department said, and can result in criminal penalties and civil liability.
Comments: (319) 398-8238; firstname.lastname@example.org.