116 3rd St SE
Cedar Rapids, Iowa 52401
Home / News / Crime and Courts
Mollie Tibbetts trial replay: Defense begins case in Cristhian Bahena Rivera murder trial
May. 25, 2021 8:27 am, Updated: May. 25, 2021 3:27 pm
The defense began calling witnesses Tuesday as the trial for Cristhian Bahena Rivera continued in the slaying of Mollie Tibbetts.
Defense attorneys called Tibbetts’ boyfriend, Dalton Jack, back to the stand Tuesday. He was initially called by the prosecution last week. Bahena Rivera’s ex-girlfriend also testified.
Watch a replay of Tuesday’s livestream in the video player above. Live coverage resumes Wednesday morning, soon after jurors arrive at 8:30 a.m.
Video recap of Day 4 of testimony:
Bahena Rivera is charged with first-degree murder in the 2018 slaying of 20-year-old University of Iowa student Mollie Tibbetts, who disappeared while jogging.
Bahena Rivera, 26, faces life in prison if convicted of the stabbing death, which inflamed anger over illegal immigration since he was a Mexican national living illegally in the United States.
• Day 4 testimony: Iowa DCI agent says lack of Spanish skills delayed investigation of Cristhian Bahena Rivera
• Day 3 testimony: Analyst: Blood in Bahena Rivera’s trunk came from Mollie Tibbetts
• Day 2 testimony: Officer: Bahena Rivera admitted killing Mollie Tibbetts
• Day 1 testimony: Tibbetts’ boyfriend denies role in her slaying
• Timeline: The disappearance and death of Mollie Tibbetts