116 3rd St SE
Cedar Rapids, Iowa 52401
Home / News / Crime and Courts
Mollie Tibbetts trial replay: Jury deliberating in Cristhian Bahena Rivera murder trial
Lawyers gave closing arguments Thursday
May. 27, 2021 8:26 am, Updated: May. 27, 2021 5:43 pm
Lawyers gave their closing arguments Thursday morning, and now the decision in Cristhian Bahena Rivera’s murder trial is in the jury’s hands.
Watch a replay of Thursday’s livestream in the video player above. The jury will return Friday morning to continue deliberations at 8:30 a.m.
Bahena Rivera’s lawyers made their final pleas for their client, charged with murder in the 2018 stabbing death of Mollie Tibbetts. Prosecutor Scott Brown said in a closing argument that the testimony revealed “overwhelming evidence” that Bahena Rivera is guilty.
Highlights from closing arguments:
Cristhian Bahena Rivera took the stand in his murder trial Wednesday, claiming that two masked men were responsible for Mollie Tibbetts’ death, forcing him to take part at gunpoint.
Watch highlights of Bahena Rivera’s testimony:
Bahena Rivera, 26, faces life in prison if convicted of the stabbing death.
• Day 6 testimony: Bahena Rivera testifies, blames mystery men for Tibbetts’ slaying
• Day 5 testimony: Defense paints murder suspect as hard-working immigrant
• Day 4 testimony: Iowa DCI agent says lack of Spanish skills delayed investigation of Bahena Rivera
• Day 3 testimony: Analyst: Blood in Bahena Rivera’s trunk came from Mollie Tibbetts
• Day 2 testimony: Officer: Bahena Rivera admitted killing Mollie Tibbetts
• Day 1 testimony: Tibbetts’ boyfriend denies role in her slaying
• Timeline: The disappearance and death of Mollie Tibbetts