116 3rd St SE
Cedar Rapids, Iowa 52401
The fatal Saturday fire at Shamrock Apartments, which resulted in the death of Thomas M. Jones, age 57, has been determined to be unintentional.
Discarded smoking materials that ignited a chair in the living room have been determined as the cause of the fire. Jones was found in proximity to the chair by firefighters, according to a news release.
According to a release, the Cedar Rapids Fire Department responded to the fire at 222 Jacolyn Drive SW at 9:42 a.m. Saturday, and were advised that an occupant was inside a burning apartment unit.
Neighbors had been alerted by smoke alarms, gained access to the apartment and used portable fire extinguishers before the fire department arrived, according to the release. Jones, the only occupant of the apartment unit where the fire was contained, had sustained severe burns.
He was transported to Mercy Medical Center, and subsequently, the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics. The fire department was later notified that he had died, according to the release.