116 3rd St SE
Cedar Rapids, Iowa 52401
CEDAR RAPIDS — The city of Cedar Rapids’ Visual Arts Commission and local group Advocates for Social Justice are inviting area artists to help create a mural on the Five Seasons Parking Ramp, 400 First Ave. NE. The mural is intended to celebrate Cedar Rapids’ diverse community and highlight themes of social and racial justice.
Artists are encouraged to submit qualifications, as described below, before a final candidate will be selected for mural installation. A wide variety of artistic styles and backgrounds are encouraged; artwork that aligns with themes of racial justice and the mission of the Advocates for Social Justice group are encouraged.
Interested artists should submit qualifications no later than April 6, including:
• Samples of previous work that most closely aligns with this project’s goals,
• An artist biography, and
• A brief description of their interest in the project.
Top candidates, as chosen by the Selection Committee, will be selected by April 22 and invited to submit site-specific proposals.
Final site-specific proposals will be due May 20.
A final artist will be selected in early June.
Mural installation will begin summer 2022, based on the selected artist’s schedule. Funding in the amount of $50,000 will be available for the artist. The artist will be responsible for the purchase of all necessary materials and equipment, with half of the payment to be issued at the beginning of the project, and the second half to be issued upon completion. For full details on the funding and artist responsibility, please visit www.CityofCR.com/VAC.
• The deadline for submissions of qualifications is April 6.
• Artists may submit as an individual or as part of group.
• Files submitted should be no larger than two megabytes. The PDF file format is preferred.
• Submissions must be made via email to email@example.com.
• Artists will be contacted directly if they are invited to submit site-specific proposals.