116 3rd St SE
Cedar Rapids, Iowa 52401
We had a great conversation with The Gazette's Des Moines Bureau Chief, journalist Erin Murphy.
Recently Erin talked with a state economist in his piece on how difficult it will be to recoup Iowa's worker losses.
- Slow population growth for nearly a decade has led to more job openings than people to fill them in Iowa.
- 'Brain drain' of young Iowans who benefit from Iowa's schools and universities are leaving at higher rates for other states.
- Retiring and aging workforce leave many skilled positions hard to fill with the sheer volume of them.
- Immigrants have continued to be the main source of new population in Iowa and many legislatures will be focused on how to reform legal pathways for immigrants who wish to come to Iowa to fill the many jobs we have to fill.
- Many state-funded up-skilling and re-skilling programs are being strengthened by additional funding.
Opportunities in Iowa for job seekers
So what does this news mean for job seekers? More competition among employers for their skills. Additionally, job seekers who are currently struggling to find jobs or a better career can benefit from multiple apprenticeship or up-skilling programs available near them at local community colleges or workforce training centers.
Want to hear more from Erin Murphy? You can sign up for his weekday newsletter On Iowa Politics or listen in to his On Iowa Politics podcast. Once the legislative session in Iowa starts back up in Iowa, Erin will be covering all the happenings at the statehouse.
- Learn more about earn and learn resources with registered apprenticeships
- Dislocated worker programs for retraining for a new career
- View the latest jobs, get job alerts or build a resume on Corridor Careers
About Corridor Careers
Corridor Careers, Eastern Iowa’s leading jobs platform has been showcasing local job listings for over 20 years. Corridor Careers hosts job listings for Cedar Rapids, Iowa City, North Liberty, Coralville and surrounding areas of Eastern Iowa. Job seekers can sign up for job alerts, and search by category, job type or keyword. Find your job joy.