A trumpeter, santur player, vocalist and composer, Amir ElSaffar is steeped in classical and jazz traditions while also bringing the microtones and ornaments of Arabic music into play. He also is a practitioner of the endangered Iraqi maqam music, which influences both his playing and composing. His band, Rivers of Sound, features 17 musicians who blend Eastern and Western music, using fluid rhythm and pitches to create a transcultural soundscape. Tonight’s concert is part of Hancher’s Embracing Complexity initiative, designed to build understanding of contemporary Islamic cultures and Muslim identity.
Wed., February 07, 2018
Best Bets: Amir ElSaffar and Rivers of Sound
Today, Feb. 8
MORE Arts & Culture ARTICLES TO READ NEXT ...
TOP STORIES FROM THE GAZETTE
- Iowa high school football preseason rankings: Western Dubuque, Waukon start No. 1 in 3A, 2A
- Hiawatha woman accused of stealing $70,000 from employer
- Reports: USDA off tour of crops after call from angry Iowa farmer
- At sentencing, sex abuse victim says Iowa City man ‘tormented and obliterated’ her
- 4 Downs with Iowa’s special teams: The Hawkeyes will probably spring some ‘trickeration’
- Waukon football's expectations run higher after state semifinal trip