116 3rd St SE
Cedar Rapids, Iowa 52401
Home / Depth Chart Monday: Hawkeyes stuck below top 25
Depth Chart Monday: Hawkeyes stuck below top 25
I've been wondering about Iowa's unrankedness. It's not great, but what it means is completely in the eye of the beholder.
Iowa went the final seven weeks of 2006 unranked and didn't emerge until it hit No. 20 in the ‘08 final rankings (that one, the ‘08 team being unranked, caught me off guard, too). That's a span of 32 games.
Iowa fell out of the rankings after losing to Ohio State on 11/20/10. It hasn't been ranked since, a span of 47 games, nearly four full years.
I decided to go back and see if there was a longer stretch. I thought maybe at the end of the Hayden Fry era and the beginning of Kirk Ferentz. I was right.
The ‘97 Hawkeyes dropped out of the AP rankings after losing 13-10 to Wisconsin in week 10. Iowa went unranked in 1998, 1999, 2000 and 2001. It didn't crack the top 25 again until after week 6 in 2002, when it moved to 5-1 after a victory over Purdue.
That was a span of 54 weeks.
A top 25 ranking isn't the be-all, end-all, but it wouldn't hurt every once in awhile. Should it be the standard for Iowa football? With the new facilities, you have to think so.
So, there's that. Happy Monday.
... Just a refresher and then I'm evacuating the topic.
Junior Jake Rudock completed 32 of 56 for 317 yards with two TDs and a pick six. He played the whole way. Sophomore C.J. Beathard didn't throw a pass. After Iowa went through team drills, Beathard didn't warmup again and only took off the headphones for Rudock to talk to coaches in the press box.
Ferentz said after the game that Beathard suffered an injury, but was available.
'Not much [discussion on Beathard playing at Maryland],” Ferentz said. 'I'm sure there will be talk about it publicly next week. Internally, we'll talk about it. We always do.”
Iowa's offense had good range against Maryland. It had four plays of 20-plus yards, which is about average, and an impressive 10 plays of either 12-plus rush or 16-plus pass. Iowa has been in double digits there twice this season (13 vs. Purdue).
How hurt is/was Beathard? Was the Indiana game the tryout? Somewhere there is the answer to QB.
TV next week
... Iowa travels to face Minnesota (11 a.m., ESPN2/ESPNU).
More football nerdiness
... Iowa's personnel groups last week against Maryland:
11 (one RB, one TE)
- 55 (63.2 percent - Iowa flipped into desperation mode early in the third quarter with deficits ranging from 3 points to 10. It was all 11 in the fourth quarter. When you pass 56 times and the defense knows you have to pass, you're going to give up sacks and pick sixes. This group did produce 10 points late in the game.)
21 (RB, FB and one TE)
- 12 (13.7 percent - I have a feeling you'll be seeing more fullback this week. Remember when Iowa passed 52 times against Ball State and then rushed 44 against Iowa State? You can see that correction coming. Is that, however the strength of Northwestern's defense? The Cats allow just 3.94 yards a carry and they have faced UW's Melvin Gordon and Nebraska's Ameer Abdullah.)
13 (RB, three TEs)
- 4 (4.5 percent - They've toyed with three TE. There's something there they don't like. Maybe they're not getting the bang for the buck running the ball. Then again, that's an awfully small sample size.)
22 (RB, FB, two TEs)
- 1 (1.1 percent - Again, probably more fullback this week.)
12 (one RB, two TE)
- 25 (28.7 percent - This is one of their more productive personnel groups. Why? It's balanced. It constraints the defense. Are they going to run or pass? The 11 personnel hasn't done this.)
23 (RB, FB, three TEs)
- 1 (1.1 percent - Got a TD out of it.)
Where Iowa's O did stuff
... Here's what they did and where they went (I included the formations this week):
- pass right short (+12 Duzey, 13 personnel), rush right (+1 Wesiman, 11), pass left short (+8 Bullock, 12), rush middle (+7 Weisman, 22), rush middle (+4 Weisman, TD, 12)
- pass left mid (+52 Bullock, 13), rush left (+13 Canzeri, 13), rush middle (+4 Canzeri, 12), rush right (+1 Canzeri, 12), rush middle (0 Bullock, 11), pass right short (+7 Bullock, 11), pass right short (+2 Krieger-Coble, 23)
- run left (-5 Parker, 21, jet sweep), sack (0 Rudock, 21), pass short middle (+10 Bullock, 11)
- rush right (0 Daniels, 21), pass short middle (+19 Duzey, 12, fumble)
- rush left (+9 Weisman, 12), rush middle (+9 Weisman, 12), rush left (0 Weisman, 12), pass left middle (incomplete, KMM target, 12), scramble (+12 Rudock, 11), pass short left (+4 Duzey, 12), pass short left (incomplete, Canzeri target, screen, 12), pass short left (incomplete, KMM target, 11)
- scramble (+4 Rudock, 11), pass mid middle (incomplete, Duzey target, 11), pass mid middle (incomplete, Duzey drop, 11)
- pass short middle (+11 Weisman, 12), rush right (+13 Parker, jet sweep, 21), pass throwaway (incomplete, KMM target, 12), pass short right (+4 Hamilton, 12), pass short middle (incomplete, Bullock target, 11)
- pass short right (incomplete, Canzeri drop, 21), rush middle (+2 Canzeri, 21), pass right mid (incomplete, KMM target, 11)
- pass short middle (+4 Smith, 11), pass short left (+6 Duzey, 11), pass mid middle (incomplete, Duzey target, 11)
- rush right (+6 Canzeri, 12), rush right (0 Canzeri, 12), pass short left (+5 KMM, 11), pass short right (incomplete, KMM target, 12), rush middle (+38 Weisman, 21), rush middle (+3 Weisman, 21)
- rush middle (+5 Weisman, 21), rush right (+3 Weisman, 12), pass right mid (incomplete, Hamilton target, 21)
Series 12 - pass short right (incomplete, Smith target, 21), pass short right (+4 Smith, 11), pass short left (intercepted, Bullock target, 11)
- sack (-8 Rudock, 12), pass short left (incomplete, KMM target, 12), pass short left (+9 Bullock, 11)
- pass short right (+5 Bullock, 11), pass short right (+4 KMM, 11), pass short right (+4 Bullock, 11)
- pass right mid (+16 Powell, 11), pass short right (+2 KMM, 11), pass short right (+7 Duzey, 11), scramble (+7 Rudock, 11), pass right mid (incomplete, Smith target, 11), pass right mid (incomplete, Powell target, 11), pass right mid (+14 Smith, 11), pass short left (+25 Kittle, 11), pass short middle (incomplete, Bullock target, 11), pass short right (incomplete, KMM target, 11), pass short middle (+4 Hillyer, 11)
- pass right mid (+16 Powell, 11), sack (-12 Rudock, 11), pass mid middle (+23 Duzey, 11), pass short right (+4 Duzey, 11), pass short right (+4 Powell, 11), scramble (+4 Rudock, 11), pass short left (incomplete, Bullock target, 11), pass short left (incomplete, Smith target, 11)
- pass short left (+7 KMM, 11), pass short right (+11 KMM, 11), pass short right (incomplete, KMM target, 11), pass right mid (incomplete, Powell target, 11), pass short left (+6 Bullock, 11), pass short left (incomplete, Smith target, 11)
Points of interest ... ' Iowa has 10 interceptions, the third most in the Big Ten. Eight different players have recorded an interception.
' In four of Iowa's five wins, the Hawkeyes recorded an interception on its opponents' final drive (CB Greg Mabin vs. UNI; FS Anthony Gair at Pitt; SS John Lowdermilk at Purdue; FS Jordan Lomax vs. Indiana).
' Iowa has converted 10 fourth-down attempts, more than any other Big Ten team. The Hawkeyes have scored two touchdowns on fourth down (one pass, one rush).
' Iowa has used 13 first-time starters - five on offense (C Tommy Gaul, FB John Kenny, WR Jacob Hillyer, FB Macon Plewa, OL Sean Welsh) six on defense (DE Nate Meier, LB Bo Bower, CB Maurice Fleming, FS Anthony Gair, CB Greg Mabin, LB Reggie Spearman), and two on special teams (P Dillon Kidd and K Marshall Koehn).
' Iowa has outscored its opponents, 63-31, in the first quarter.
' RB Mark Weisman is one of eight players in school history to surpass 2,000 career rushing yards and 20 career rushing touchdowns. He has 2,217 career rushing yards, the 10th most in program history, and 26 career rushing touchdowns, the third most in program history (Shaw, 33; Banks, 33).
' WR Kevonte Martin-Manley leads Iowa with 33 receptions. He ranks No. 4 in school history with 155 career receptions. He needs 19 catches to break Iowa's all-time receptions record (Derrell Johnson-Koulianos, 173). Martin-Manley ranks No. 17 with 1,552 receiving yards.
' Northwestern has six passing touchdowns, tied for the fewest in the Big Ten. Iowa has allowed only six passing touchdowns, the second fewest allowed in the Big Ten.
' Both teams are coming off their second bye weeks of the season. Northwestern defeated Western Illinois, 24-7, following its first bye week. Iowa defeated Indiana, 45-29, following its first by week.
Two deep notes
... Linebacker Reggie Spearman is not listed after receiving a one-game suspension following a weekend OWI arrest. Freshman Josey Jewell will get the start.
Freshman wide receiver Derrick Willies is not listed on the two deep. He suffered a muscle strain and was scratched against Indiana. He dressed for the Maryland game, but didn't play.
Punters Dillon Kidd and Connor Kornbrath are listed as an 'or” this week. Kornbrath punted for the first time this season against Maryland.
No RB LeShun Daniels on the depth chart. There are rumors that Daniels has an ankle/foot injury and has had surgery. If true, he will not be eligible for a medical hardship waiver. He played in too many games and after the midpoint of the season.
SE - 4 ** Tevaun Smith ^ 6-2 200 Jr. Toronto, Ontario (Kent School, Conn.) 17 ** Jacob Hillyer 6-4 208 Jr. Somerset, Texas (Somerset)
LT - 68 *** Brandon Scherff 6-5 320 Sr. Denison, Iowa (Denison) 75 Ike Boettger 6-6 267 #Fr. Cedar Falls, Iowa (Cedar Falls)
LG - 79 Sean Welsh 6-3 285 #Fr. Springboro, Ohio (Springboro) 58 Eric Simmons 6-2 295 Jr. Madrid, Iowa (Iowa Western CC)
C - 63 ** Austin Blythe 6-3 290 Jr. Williamsburg, Iowa (Williamsburg) 57 * Tommy Gaul 6-3 280 Sr. Des Moines, Iowa (Dowling Catholic)
RG - 65 ** Jordan Walsh 6-4 290 Jr. Glendale Heights, Ill. (Glenbard West) 52 Boone Myers 6-5 285 #Fr. Webster City, Iowa (Webster City)
RT - 78 ** Andrew Donnal 6-7 305 Sr. Montclova, Ohio (Anthony Wayne) 64 Cole Croston 6-5 270 So. Sergeant Bluff, Iowa (Sergeant Bluff-Luton)
TE - 82 *** Ray Hamilton ^ 6-5 252 Sr. Strongsville, Ohio (Strongsville) OR 87 ** Jake Duzey 6-4 245 Jr. Troy, Mich. (Athens) 80 ** Henry Krieger Coble 6-4 250 Jr. Mount Pleasant, Iowa (Mount Pleasant)
WR - 11 *** Kevonte Martin-Manley 6-0 205 Sr. Pontiac, Mich. (Brother Rice) 89 * Matt VandeBerg ^ 6-1 175 So. Brandon, S.D. (Brandon Valley)
WR - 17 ** Jacob Hillyer 6-4 208 Jr. Somerset, Texas (Somerset) 22 * Damond Powell ^ 5-11 180 Sr. Toledo, Ohio (Rogers HS/Snow CC)
QB - 15 * Jake Rudock 6-3 208 Jr. Weston, Fla. (St. Thomas Aquinas) 16 * C.J. Beathard 6-2 203 So. Franklin, Tenn. (Battle Ground Academy)
RB - 45 ** Mark Weisman 6-0 240 Sr. Buffalo Grove, Ill. (Stevenson) 33 ** Jordan Canzeri 5-9 192 Jr. Troy, N.Y. (Troy)
FB - 47 John Kenny 6-2 225 #Fr. Carmel, Ind. (Carmel) 42 * Macon Plewa 6-2 236 Jr. Franklin, Wis (Franklin)
PK - 1 Marshall Koehn 6-0 195 Jr. Solon, Iowa (Solon) 2 Mick Ellis ^ 5-10 180 Fr. Allen, Texas (Lovejoy)
LE - 34 * Nate Meier ^ 6-2 244 Jr. Tabor, Iowa (Fremont-Mills) 98 ** Mike Hardy 6-5 280 Sr. Appleton, Wis. (Kimberly)
LT - 71 ** Carl Davis 6-5 315 Sr. Detroit, Mich. (Stevenson) 99 Nathan Bazata 6-2 284 #Fr. Howells, Neb. (Howells-Dodge)
RT - 90 ** Louis Trinca-Pasat 6-3 290 Sr. Chicago, Ill. (Lane Tech) 67 Jaleel Johnson 6-4 310 So. Lombard, Ill. (Montini Catholic)
RE - 95 * Drew Ott^ 6-4 270 Jr. Trumbull, Neb. (Giltner) 98 ** Mike Hardy 6-5 280 Sr. Appleton, Wis. (Kimberly)
OLB - 41 Bo Bower 6-1 220 #Fr. West Branch, Iowa (West Branch) 44 Ben Niemann ^ 6-3 205 Fr. Sycamore, Ill. (Sycamore)
MLB - 52 *** Quinton Alston ^ 6-1 232 Sr. Sicklerville, N.J. (Timber Creek Reg.) 39 ** Travis Perry 6-3 232 Jr. Urbandale, Iowa (Urbandale)
WLB - 43 Josey Jewell 6-2 225 #Fr. Decorah, Iowa (Decorah) 36 ** Cole Fisher 6-2 233 Jr. Omaha, Neb. (Millard North)
LC - 13 Greg Mabin 6-2 195 So. Fort Lauderdale, Fla. (Calvary Christian Academy) 28 * Maurice Fleming 6-0 200 So. Chicago, Ill. (Curie Metropolitan)
SS - 37 *** John Lowdermilk ^ 6-2 210 Sr. Carrollton, Ohio (Carrollton) 19 Miles Taylor ^ 6-0 185 Fr. Silver Springs, Md. (Gonzaga College)
FS - 27 ** Jordan Lomax 5-10 200 Jr. Upper Marlboro, Md. (DeMatha Catholic) 12 * Anthony Gair 6-2 200 So. Plano, Texas (Prestonwood Christian)
RC - 14 * Desmond King ^ 5-11 190 So. Detroit, Mich. (East English Village) 7 ** Sean Draper ^ 6-0 190 Jr. Cleveland, Ohio (Glenville)
PT - 16 Dillon Kidd 6-2 230 Jr. Deerfield Beach, Fla. (El Camino CC) OR 98 ** Connor Kornbrath ^ 6-6 240 Jr. Bridgeport, W. Va. (Bridgeport)
: 83 Riley McCarron 89 Matt VandeBerg
: 10 Jonathan Parker 33 Jordan Canzeri
: 97 Tyler Kluver
16 Dillon Kidd 98 Connor Kornbrath
* - - Letters won ^ - - Redshirt year still available # - - Indicates redshirt freshman
l Comments: (319) 398-8256; email@example.com