Day 7 of the trial continues Monday for Jerry Burns, charged with first-degree murder in the fatal stabbing of Michelle Martinko on Dec. 19, 1979. Police found the 18-year-old's body in her parents’ Buick parked at Westdale Mall in Cedar Rapids.
Follow reporter Trish Mehaffey’s live coverage from the courtroom. She'll provide updates in the chat below, where you also can ask questions and post comments (your posts are being moderated by Trish, so they may not appear immediately, but she will receive them).
• MORE ABOUT THE CASE: Key moments in the Michelle Martinko cold case investigation
MORE MICHELLE MARTINKO ARTICLES ...
TOP STORIES FROM THE GAZETTE
- Ian Johnston continues to work on golf game
- Report: Iowa State gets F grade for share of women's sports coached by women
- Cedar Rapids natives A.J. Puk and Mitch Keller will be ready when MLB starts again
- Local animal shelters closed or open by appointment only
- A furry distraction: People adding pets to their family during stressful time
- Be ‘cautious and aware’ when outdoors, Linn County law enforcement officials urge