Day 7 of the trial continues Monday for Jerry Burns, charged with first-degree murder in the fatal stabbing of Michelle Martinko on Dec. 19, 1979. Police found the 18-year-old's body in her parents’ Buick parked at Westdale Mall in Cedar Rapids.
Follow reporter Trish Mehaffey’s live coverage from the courtroom. She'll provide updates in the chat below, where you also can ask questions and post comments (your posts are being moderated by Trish, so they may not appear immediately, but she will receive them).
• MORE ABOUT THE CASE: Key moments in the Michelle Martinko cold case investigation
MORE MICHELLE MARTINKO ARTICLES ...
TOP STORIES FROM THE GAZETTE
- Some Iowa schools could require students to finish classes remotely through coronavirus closures
- Johnson County supervisors send letter to Gov. Reynolds asking for shelter-in-place order
- Linn County coronavirus cases linked to outbreak in Cedar Rapids long-term care facility
- Coronavirus in Iowa, live updates for March 30: Mercy shifts respiratory clinic to increase patient capacity
- Former school bus driver accused of attempting to abuse a girl, 10, faces felony charges
- Kept apart by coronavirus, Iowa teachers see their students in social-distance parades