Day 3 of the trial continues Friday for Jerry Burns, charged with first-degree murder in the fatal stabbing of Michelle Martinko on Dec. 19, 1979. Police found the 18-year-old's body in her parents’ Buick parked at Westdale Mall in Cedar Rapids.
Follow reporter Trish Mehaffey’s live coverage from the courtroom. She'll provide updates in the chat below, where you also can ask questions and post comments (your posts are being moderated by Trish, so they may not appear immediately, but she will receive them).
• MORE ABOUT THE CASE: Key moments in the Michelle Martinko cold case investigation
MORE MICHELLE MARTINKO ARTICLES ...
TOP STORIES FROM THE GAZETTE
- Iowa high school football rankings: Week 6 features showdowns throughout the state
- Ernst, Greenfield clash in first debate
- Son says former Iowa Gov. Terry Branstad ‘definitely in campaign mode’
- Fourth judge sides with Republicans in fight over absentee ballots
- Fact Checker: PAC ad attacks Mariannette Miller-Meeks over Obamacare
- Mercy Medical Center receives $2 million donation for new dementia care center