Day 3 of the trial continues Friday for Jerry Burns, charged with first-degree murder in the fatal stabbing of Michelle Martinko on Dec. 19, 1979. Police found the 18-year-old's body in her parents’ Buick parked at Westdale Mall in Cedar Rapids.
Follow reporter Trish Mehaffey’s live coverage from the courtroom. She'll provide updates in the chat below, where you also can ask questions and post comments (your posts are being moderated by Trish, so they may not appear immediately, but she will receive them).
• MORE ABOUT THE CASE: Key moments in the Michelle Martinko cold case investigation
MORE MICHELLE MARTINKO ARTICLES ...
TOP STORIES FROM THE GAZETTE
- Alburnett holds off Cedar Valley Christian in unexpectedly wild 1A district game
- Subs Cordell Pemsl, Bakari Evelyn help Iowa basketball torpedo Ohio State
- No. 4 Monticello survives Northeast upset bid in 2A boys' basketball district semifinals
- Indiana State knocks off UNI men’s basketball despite late rally
- Iowa 1A state wrestling: Lisbon's perfect start, Heath Moyer's winning return, full first-round results
- Iowa high school state wrestling 2020: Thursday's first-round results and coverage