Day 3 of the trial continues Friday for Jerry Burns, charged with first-degree murder in the fatal stabbing of Michelle Martinko on Dec. 19, 1979. Police found the 18-year-old's body in her parents’ Buick parked at Westdale Mall in Cedar Rapids.
Follow reporter Trish Mehaffey’s live coverage from the courtroom. She'll provide updates in the chat below, where you also can ask questions and post comments (your posts are being moderated by Trish, so they may not appear immediately, but she will receive them).
• MORE ABOUT THE CASE: Key moments in the Michelle Martinko cold case investigation
MORE MICHELLE MARTINKO ARTICLES ...
- Brandon Horman, former Cedar Rapids Jefferson boys’ basketball coach, taking over at Lisbon
- As Maggie McQuillen fights, support comes from Anamosa and beyond
- Cordell Pemsl transferring out of Iowa men’s basketball program
- Iowa Board of Medicine urges governor to require shelter in place
- Gov. Kim Reynolds appoints West Des Moines lawyer to Iowa Supreme Court
- IHSAA, IGHSAU holding out hope for Iowa high school spring sports