Day 3 of the trial continues Friday for Jerry Burns, charged with first-degree murder in the fatal stabbing of Michelle Martinko on Dec. 19, 1979. Police found the 18-year-old's body in her parents’ Buick parked at Westdale Mall in Cedar Rapids.
Follow reporter Trish Mehaffey’s live coverage from the courtroom. She'll provide updates in the chat below, where you also can ask questions and post comments (your posts are being moderated by Trish, so they may not appear immediately, but she will receive them).
• MORE ABOUT THE CASE: Key moments in the Michelle Martinko cold case investigation
MORE MICHELLE MARTINKO ARTICLES ...
TOP STORIES FROM THE GAZETTE
- No. 1 Iowa wrestling caps first unbeaten season since 2011 by mauling No. 9 Oklahoma State
- Iowa state wrestling notes: Cedar Rapids Prairie duo close with finals appearance
- For Hawkeyes men's basketball, 11-0 + 18-3 = Week That Was
- Cedar Rapids Kennedy's Caleb Schlaak emerges into Metro's top basketball scorer
- Iowa Valley’s Ben Smith goes out on top at state wrestling tournament
- How fast should rural broadband be? Some precision ag companies in Iowa looking for speed