Day 3 of the trial continues Friday for Jerry Burns, charged with first-degree murder in the fatal stabbing of Michelle Martinko on Dec. 19, 1979. Police found the 18-year-old's body in her parents’ Buick parked at Westdale Mall in Cedar Rapids.
Follow reporter Trish Mehaffey’s live coverage from the courtroom. She'll provide updates in the chat below, where you also can ask questions and post comments (your posts are being moderated by Trish, so they may not appear immediately, but she will receive them).
• MORE ABOUT THE CASE: Key moments in the Michelle Martinko cold case investigation
MORE MICHELLE MARTINKO ARTICLES ...
TOP STORIES FROM THE GAZETTE
- Former Iowa DB Maurice Fleming adds to accusations made against Kirk Ferentz, Chris Doyle
- Iowa sees continued uptick in coronavirus hospitalizations
- School reopening plans: Iowa City to require masks while Cedar Rapids, Linn-Mar, College Community, Marion decisions coming soon
- University of Iowa faculty, instructors share fall fears with students
- Liberty’s Kara Maiers no-hits Linn-Mar, then the Lions salvage a split
- 2020 Zach Johnson Foundation Classic canceled