Marjorie "Marge" Mulvaney Goldcamp is celebrating 100 years of milestones! Born Oct. 16, 1919, Marge grew up in Kentucky as part of a large Irish family. She married Boyce Goldcamp in 1946 and they had seven children. Widowed in 1976, she has remained the matriarch to a growing family of 16 grandchildren and 26 great-grandchildren.
Marge has traveled the world, visiting England, Ireland, Italy (where she met Pope John Paul II),
Australia, China, Mexico, Canada and the U.S., from Maine to Hawaii. But politics has played one of the biggest roles in Marge's life. A longtime employee of the Ohio Board of Elections, Marge has been a lifelong member of the Democratic Party and has voted in 20 Presidential elections. She has lived through the Great Depression and the New Deal, McCarthyism, the assassinations of JFK
(attending his funeral in Washington, D.C.), RFK and MLK, Watergate and the Clinton impeachment. From women not having the right to vote when she was born, to casting her own vote for the first
female Presidential candidate in 2016, Marge has been a witness to it all, becoming an especially vociferous participant in the last few years.
Mom, we love you so much and are so proud of your accomplished and well-lived life!
Birthday wishes may be sent to Marge Goldcamp, 4404 Saratoga Ct., Marion, IA 52302.
TOP STORIES FROM THE GAZETTE
- Pete Buttigieg scores Iowa endorsements following Democratic presidential debate
- Iowa high school state football championships: TV, live stream, predictions for Friday's games
- No ‘mansplaining’ necessary: Sen. Joni Ernst responds to Chuck Schumer’s criticism of her position on Violence Against Women Act
- Former Collins employee sues over sexual harassment and assault
- Iowa high school state football championships: TV, live stream, predictions for Thursday's games
- Western Dubuque downs Solon for Class 3A state football championship