Cathie and Larry Jones will celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary next Friday, Dec. 7. Catherine Watt and Lawrence Jones were married in Iowa City at St. Thomas More Catholic Church on Dec. 7, 1968. After graduating from the University of Iowa, Larry enlisted in the U.S. Navy and later returned to Iowa City and worked at Procter and Gamble for 33 years. Cathie also graduated from UI and joined the Prairie High School faculty in the College Community School District, where she remained for 35 years, surrounded by some of the world's nicest high school students and colleagues.
The long anniversary celebration began in September with a cruise from the northeast coast of the United States to Quebec City. The celebration will continue through next weekend with family and friend dinners, and will end with a family trip in the spring with their daughter Kate, daughter-in-law Jo Ann, son Christopher and his partner Julia.
MORE Anniversaries ARTICLES TO READ NEXT ...
TOP STORIES FROM THE GAZETTE
- Shaken, not slurred: James Bond had ‘a severe chronic alcohol problem,’ public health experts say
- As government shutdown looms, Sen. Joni Ernst not backing down on ‘Make ’em Squeal’ campaign
- Iowa high school boys' basketball rankings: A new No. 1 in Class 2A
- Armed robbery suspect arrested after brief standoff
- Two men arrested after shooting at Cedar Rapids apartment building
- 3 state executives leaving Kim Reynolds’ new administration