Cathie and Larry Jones will celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary next Friday, Dec. 7. Catherine Watt and Lawrence Jones were married in Iowa City at St. Thomas More Catholic Church on Dec. 7, 1968. After graduating from the University of Iowa, Larry enlisted in the U.S. Navy and later returned to Iowa City and worked at Procter and Gamble for 33 years. Cathie also graduated from UI and joined the Prairie High School faculty in the College Community School District, where she remained for 35 years, surrounded by some of the world's nicest high school students and colleagues.
The long anniversary celebration began in September with a cruise from the northeast coast of the United States to Quebec City. The celebration will continue through next weekend with family and friend dinners, and will end with a family trip in the spring with their daughter Kate, daughter-in-law Jo Ann, son Christopher and his partner Julia.
MORE Anniversaries ARTICLES TO READ NEXT ...
TOP STORIES FROM THE GAZETTE
- Linn-Mar takes down No. 1 Iowa City West
- Iowa high school basketball roundup: Dec. 14 area scores, stats and more
- Mick McCurry’s 3-point play with 3 seconds left lifts Washington over Kennedy in overtime
- University of Iowa fraternity ordered pledges into alcohol-fueled ‘gauntlet’
- Akacia Brown’s work on the boards sends Xavier to its first loss
- Joe Ahmann's $120 million plan at Highway 100