116 3rd St SE
Cedar Rapids, Iowa 52401
Since the coronavirus hit Iowa, my kids and I have been watching a lot of movies. We like to pop a big bag of popcorn in the microwave and then dress it up with gummy bears, M&M's or even Reeses' candy. One thing we started doing for fun was popping popcorn in a giant pot on the stove. It's easy and doesn't cost a lot of money, but make sure you have an adult help you.
Here is what you need
One large pot with a lid
1/4 cup of canola or vegetable oil
1/2 cup of popcorn kernels
1. Put the pot on the stove and pour in the oil.
2. Turn on the heat to medium high.
3. While the oil heats, put in three kernels of popcorn into the pot.
4. When the kernels pop, remove them with a spoon and dump in the rest of the popcorn.
5. Make sure the kernels are spread evenly over the bottom of the pot.
6. The popcorn will immediately start popping. Once the pot looks like it's full, I like to shake it once or twice to get any kernels that might not have popped.
7. Once the popcorn stops popping, remove it from the heat and pour two tablespoons of melted butter on top.
Now it's time for the fun part. The mix-ins! You can add in garlic and Parmesan cheese. Or what about sprinkles? Some people like to melt chocolate over their popcorn and then shake it up and let it cool on a tray. What about mixing in jelly beans? The options are endless.