The Cedar Rapids Police Department is now offering $8 background checks for Cedar Rapids landlords.
The program is called Secure and Friendly Environment for Cedar Rapids, or SAFE-CR, and will be managed by the police department. The program officially kicks off on Oct. 1, but the police department is offering the service early.
City code requires that Landlord Business Permit Holders perform background checks on all adults who newly occupy a rental unit. At a minimum, the background checks require reports of activity from Iowa Courts Online, the Iowa Sex Offender Registry and the National Sex Offender Registry. The SAFE-CR check will also include Cedar Rapids arrest information not included in the Iowa Courts Online report and will indicate if the tenant has any active warrants in Iowa.Registered landlords with a valid Landlord Business Permit can access the program at http://www.cedar-rapids.org/government/departments/police/Pages/SafeCR.aspx.
WHAT TO READ NEXT ...
TOP STORIES FROM THE GAZETTE
- Average number of new coronavirus cases increases in Iowa
- Iowa high school softball: It’s time for crossing fingers, holding breath — and social distancing
- Iowa lawmaker tries to walk back claim that no one has died from coronavirus
- Micro businesses set to open at West End Marion on Friday
- A broken light, a bunch of hit batters ... and a doubleheader split for Iowa City West, C.R. Kennedy
- PHOTOS: West at Kennedy prep baseball