A Wyoming, Iowa man has drowned after an apparent fishing accident in Jones County.
Authorities received a 911 call at approximately 11:15 a.m. Sunday that a boat had capsized on the Wapsipinicon River, about five miles south of Wyoming. Investigators say Douglas Berkhoff, 60, of Davenport and Wylie Tredway, 52, of Wyoming, were fishing from the boat when it got snagged on a tree. In an attempt to free it, the boat capsized, sending both men into the water. Neither was wearing a life jacket, authorities said.
Crews recovered Berkhoff and took him to the Jackson County Regional Health Center in Maquoketa for treatment of non-life threatening injuries. Authorities said Tredway died at the scene.The accident is still under investigation.
WHAT TO READ NEXT ...
- Ames could be nation’s economic harbinger
- Iowa high school football 2018: Area district predictions
- Four more arrested in connection with Cedar Valley Townhomes brawl, bringing total to eight
- Iowa quarterbacks: Is Nate Stanley a first-round NFL draft pick?
- Iowa City man shoots himself, ultimately arrested for felony gun possession
- ‘Rickmobile’ from Adult Swim’s “Rick and Morty” to roll into C.R.