116 3rd St SE
Cedar Rapids, Iowa 52401
I defy even the most-obsessive Iowa Hawkeyes football fan to claim he or she knew all of the following:
* The only Big Ten team with a winning record in bowl games since 2001 is ... Iowa.
The Hawkeyes are 6-4 in bowls since ‘01. Ohio State and Penn State are 5-5, Illinois is 2-2, and everyone else is under .500.
* The FBS team with the longest current winning streak is ... Northern Illinois.
Iowa's first 2012 opponent started last season 2-3, then peeled off nine straight victories including a 38-20 thumping of Arkansas State in the GoDaddy.com Bowl.
Included in that run was a 63-60 win over Toledo that did not go to overtime. NIU quarterback Chandler Harnish passed for six touchdowns and rushed for 133 yards in that game. Fear not, Iowa fans. Harnish was a senior.
Iowa is 7-0 over the Huskies with an average margin of victory of 30.6 points. NIU is 3-37-1 against Big Ten members.
* Hawkeye linebackers James Morris and Anthony Hitchens and defensive backs Micah Hyde and Tanner Miller had a combined 18,043 career rushing yards as high school players. Solon's Morris led all with 6,646.
Hyde also passed for 7,864 yards at Fostoria (Ohio) High, and kicked 108 PATs.
* Iowa defensive coordinator Phil Parker was named the Outstanding Defensive Player in the 1984 Cherry Bowl. He had an interception in the game.
Alas, Parker's Michigan State team lost to Army, 10-6, in a game played before 70,332 fans in the Pontiac Silverdome.
That was the first Cherry Bowl. The second one, matching Maryland and Syracuse, was played the following year. Then the game folded.
* The Hawkeyes have players majoring in microbiology (Jake Rudock), industrial engineering (Austin Blythe), science education (Casey Kreiter), geoscience (Matt Tobin), psychology (Mike Meyer), kinesiology (Faith Ekakitie), and political science (Morris).
The most popular major on the team is leisure studies, with 17 players having chosen that as their area of study. One of the three tracks in that program is recreation and sport business.
* Iowa offensive coordinator Greg Davis was the head coach at Tulane from 1988 to 1991. His four-year record was 14-31, but his teams did get wins over three different SEC teams, and beat Kansas State.
Against Iowa State, however, Davis was 0-2 at Tulane. He had better luck against the Cyclones when he was the offensive coordinator at Texas, with the Longhorns going 6-1 against ISU between 1998 and 2010.
* The Hawkeyes are 42-42-2 against Wisconsin, 12-12 against Penn State, and 0-0-1 against Air Force and BYU.
Penn State hasn't won in Iowa City since 1999. That could remain a fact for many more years.
* Iowa's homecoming game this year is Sept. 29 against Minnesota.
That will be the fourth of four straight home games for the Hawkeyes, so it's a little bit more of a homecoming for the alumni than the football team.
* Hawkeye tight end C.J. Fiedorowicz's first name is Colton.
* Last season was the first since 2006 in which Iowa didn't shut out an opponent. The Hawkeyes have not been blanked since their 31-0 loss to Illinois in 2000.
That's a 144-game scoring streak. The NCAA record is 361, set by BYU from 1975 to 2003. If Iowa plays 13 games every year from this day forward and keeps avoiding goose eggs, it will break BYU's mark late in the 2029 season.
But Michigan could break BYU's record this season. The Wolverines have scored in 349 consecutive games. (Go to Page 111 of the NCAA's football records site for proof.)
The last time Michigan was shut out was in 1984 at ... Iowa.