A prominent Republican attorney is representing a Democratic operative charged with stealing the identity of Iowa's Republican secretary of state as part of a plot to link him to unethical behavior.
Attorney Matthew Whitaker, who served as U.S. Attorney during the Bush administration, confirmed Thursday Zachary Edwards is his client. But Whitaker said he wasn't authorized to say anything about the case.
Edwards was arrested last week and fired from his job at Link Strategies, a Democratic consulting firm. Edwards worked as director of new media for President Barack Obama's Iowa campaign in 2008.A criminal complaint says the 29-year-old fraudulently used or attempted to use the identity of Secretary of State Matt Schultz or his brother Thomas with the intent to obtain a benefit. No other details were given.
WHAT TO READ NEXT ...
TOP STORIES FROM THE GAZETTE
- Unusual on Johnson County ballot: sheriff’s race Al Fear and Brad Kunkel compete in Democratic primary
- Vote for the best former Iowa high school mascot: Far Northwest, Near Northwest, West Central district finals
- Olson family will be prevalent again at Benton County Speedway
- Photos: Auto racing returns to Benton County Speedway in Vinton
- After Xtream Arena is built, will they come?
- Iowa City Democratic stronghold not blue enough, rival for Iowa House seat says