UPDATE: The two people who were killed Thursday in separate tragedies were identified today by the Iowa County Sheriff's Office.
Jerome Miller, 63, of Marengo died in an incident around 1:46 p.m. in a snowy farm field east of the intersection of 225th Street and NN Avenue in rural Williamsburg. Reports indicate that a group of hunters was trying to free a pickup stuck in the snow, using a tow strap attached to a second pickup, when the tow strap failed. A portion of the strap struck and killed Miller, officials said.Earlier in the day, Frank Meager, 33, of Cottage Grove, Minn., was killed around 12:45 p.m. near the 2600 block of O Avenue in rural Williamsburg. According to reports, Meager, a subcontractor working to clear the right of way for a pipeline company, died when he was crushed by a tree he was cutting.
WHAT TO READ NEXT ...
- Linn-Mar takes down No. 1 Iowa City West
- Iowa high school basketball roundup: Dec. 14 area scores, stats and more
- Mick McCurry’s 3-point play with 3 seconds left lifts Washington over Kennedy in overtime
- University of Iowa fraternity ordered pledges into alcohol-fueled ‘gauntlet’
- Joe Ahmann's $120 million plan at Highway 100
- Iowa vs. UNI is the true Iowa men's basketball game