A teacher at a Catholic school in Fort Dodge has been fired after saying in a Facebook survey she did not believe in God.
Administrators of St. Edmond Catholic School fired 27-year-old Abby Nurre late last year, just months after she was hired as an eighth-grade math teacher.
The Des Moines Register reports that in August, she responded "No" to a Facebook members' poll in which she was asked whether she believed in God, miracles or heaven. In November, Nurre posted a comment to the online discussion forum Atheist Nexus.Nurre was fired in December. In her defense in January, she told the school board teachers are taxpayers who are entitled to think. She later said she is not an atheist, and that opinions on such things constantly change.
WHAT TO READ NEXT ...
TOP STORIES FROM THE GAZETTE
- Iowa's escape at Iowa State came with lots of firsts and sandwiches
- Iowa vs. Iowa State Game Report: Numbers, notes, injuries and more
- Iowa vs. Iowa State football: Final score, stats, highlights and more
- Iowa State football notes: Brock Purdy fades late against Iowa
- Photos: Iowa vs. Iowa State football
- See the best College GameDay signs from Iowa and Iowa State fans