A teacher at a Catholic school in Fort Dodge has been fired after saying in a Facebook survey she did not believe in God.
Administrators of St. Edmond Catholic School fired 27-year-old Abby Nurre late last year, just months after she was hired as an eighth-grade math teacher.
The Des Moines Register reports that in August, she responded "No" to a Facebook members' poll in which she was asked whether she believed in God, miracles or heaven. In November, Nurre posted a comment to the online discussion forum Atheist Nexus.Nurre was fired in December. In her defense in January, she told the school board teachers are taxpayers who are entitled to think. She later said she is not an atheist, and that opinions on such things constantly change.
WHAT TO READ NEXT ...
TOP STORIES FROM THE GAZETTE
- More guidelines released for Iowa high school baseball and softball
- After Xtream Arena is built, will they come?
- Vote for the best former Iowa high school mascot: Southwest, North Central, Central district finals
- Unusual on Johnson County ballot: sheriff’s race Al Fear and Brad Kunkel compete in Democratic primary
- Iowa defensive lineman Dalles Jacobus provides a big hit ... with a country music song
- Tyson Foods worker, 44, dies in Cedar Rapids after long battle with coronavirus