A teacher at a Catholic school in Fort Dodge has been fired after saying in a Facebook survey she did not believe in God.
Administrators of St. Edmond Catholic School fired 27-year-old Abby Nurre late last year, just months after she was hired as an eighth-grade math teacher.
The Des Moines Register reports that in August, she responded "No" to a Facebook members' poll in which she was asked whether she believed in God, miracles or heaven. In November, Nurre posted a comment to the online discussion forum Atheist Nexus.Nurre was fired in December. In her defense in January, she told the school board teachers are taxpayers who are entitled to think. She later said she is not an atheist, and that opinions on such things constantly change.
WHAT TO READ NEXT ...
TOP STORIES FROM THE GAZETTE
- Iowa women’s basketball endures delay, routs No. 12 Michigan, 89-67
- Painful loss for Iowa men's basketball at Michigan, physically and emotionally
- Burlington man charged for operating large-scale meth ring between Burlington and Cedar Rapids
- Lawmaker seeks to ban traffic cameras in Iowa, except along Cedar Rapids’ S-curve
- Mount Vernon SURVIVES 2nd-half rally from Mount Pleasant in 3A substate semifinals
- North Liberty standoff with police ‘peacefully resolved’