A teacher at a Catholic school in Fort Dodge has been fired after saying in a Facebook survey she did not believe in God.
Administrators of St. Edmond Catholic School fired 27-year-old Abby Nurre late last year, just months after she was hired as an eighth-grade math teacher.
The Des Moines Register reports that in August, she responded "No" to a Facebook members' poll in which she was asked whether she believed in God, miracles or heaven. In November, Nurre posted a comment to the online discussion forum Atheist Nexus.Nurre was fired in December. In her defense in January, she told the school board teachers are taxpayers who are entitled to think. She later said she is not an atheist, and that opinions on such things constantly change.
WHAT TO READ NEXT ...
TOP STORIES FROM THE GAZETTE
- Cedar Rapids Washington grad A.J. Puk gets the call to the major leagues
- Remains of missing Cedar Rapids man found in Colorado
- Biden edges Warren in Iowa State Fair straw poll
- Iowa football position preview: How the coordinator and quarterback deal goes at Iowa
- Social media posts lead to weapons charges for Iowa City man
- 4 Downs with Iowa's quarterbacks: A senior leader and then 2020 hopefuls