A teacher at a Catholic school in Fort Dodge has been fired after saying in a Facebook survey she did not believe in God.
Administrators of St. Edmond Catholic School fired 27-year-old Abby Nurre late last year, just months after she was hired as an eighth-grade math teacher.
The Des Moines Register reports that in August, she responded "No" to a Facebook members' poll in which she was asked whether she believed in God, miracles or heaven. In November, Nurre posted a comment to the online discussion forum Atheist Nexus.Nurre was fired in December. In her defense in January, she told the school board teachers are taxpayers who are entitled to think. She later said she is not an atheist, and that opinions on such things constantly change.
WHAT TO READ NEXT ...
TOP STORIES FROM THE GAZETTE
- Rep. Finkenauer calls on Gov. Reynolds to issue stay-at-home order
- Watch live: Daily White House coronavirus task force briefing for March 27
- Nicholas Baer’s G League year: Traveling, playing, adapting
- U.S. Department of Justice backs United Technologies merger with Raytheon
- Iowa restaurant revenues, employment plummet due to coronavirus concerns
- Even closed, Corridor libraries boosting internet access