CEDAR RAPIDS - For the second time in six days, the Cedar Rapids Rampage faced off against the Kansas City Comets.
This one did not need overtime.
Goalkeeper Brett Petricek and the Cedar Rapids defense held the Comets scoreless for the e ... »
| || |
This is Monday Mania! A poll is at the bottom of this post for you to vote on the queston asked in this post’s headline. Where should Iowa’s football team visit to counter the Michigan Wolverines’ trip to Rome.
People love polls.
1. I’m glad the Iowa-Iowa State football series has been extended to 2023 because Iowa City is a short drive from Cedar Rapids, and Ames is just 100 miles away.
The nearest non-Big Ten FBS program to Cedar Rapids that isn’t Iowa State is Missouri, which is 253 miles away.
It’s all about what makes my life easier, folks. Plus, you play your state rival if you can, unless you’re Texas and Texas A&M. Duh.
Of course, it’s a leap of faith to assume any of us will be here in 2023. And by here, I of course meant Iowa. What did you think I meant?
2. On Sunday, Houston Rockets players on the sideline laughed uproariously at the inability of Oklahoma City Thunder player Andre Roberson to make free throws.
Roberson was 2-of-12, which is ridiculous. You and I could go 2-of-12. Although, I’d hate to be at the line in front of 18,000 people 0-of-10 and needing to make two.
Some have ripped those Houston players for their laughter. But who among us hasn’t sat at home watching sports on television and gleefully reacted to missed free throws, or a botched short field goal, or an easy ground ball that was booted, or a 3-foot putt that was botched?
Or when they announce Best Picture of the Year and give the Oscar to the wrong film?
I’ve done it all before, and I’d do it again.
3. I enjoy the NHL’s Stanley Cup playoffs, especially since it seems like every game goes to sudden-death overtime.
But I don’t know the players, and I’m never quite sure what I’m watching.
I don’t even understand the concept of a hot goalie. One, he’s on ice. Two, he’s a goalie.
4. If you haven’t watched “Brockmire” on Wednesday nights on IFC, watch “Brockmire” on Wednesday nights on IFC.
An emotionally damaged former major-league baseball announcer does commentary on the public-address system for a lowest-level baseball team called the Morristown Frackers.
Do you really need to know more than that?
Oh yeah, it’s very smart and very funny. You can watch the first episode for free at IFC’s website.
5. It’s never a good thing to encounter a small mammal in your backyard if it doesn’t belong to you and it’s the kind of mammal you’ve never seen before.
6. If you watch the NFL draft from Thursday night’s start to Saturday’s end, we can’t be friends.
7. Michigan’s football team is in Rome. Not every college football program is a Rome kind of program.
l Comments: (319) 368-8840; firstname.lastname@example.org