MARION - A successful backstroke swim always starts under water.
Once the swimmer surges from the wall, they are allowed to remain submerged for the first 15 yards. Kick too big, and the speed is hindered by excessive drag. Kick too small, ... »
| || |
The Iowa Hawkeyes football media guide is like terms-of-service agreements, poetry, and the U.S. Constitution.
People are aware it exists, but nobody really reads it.
Well, I read it (and other supplementary material). So now you’re going to learn things. Maybe.
1. Hawkeyes cornerback Desmond King is the reigning Jim Thorpe Award-winner and all. But he has “only” 11 career interceptions. Iowa defensive coordinator Phil Parker had 16 interceptions at Michigan State.
2. Parker was named the outstanding defensive player of the 1984 Cherry Bowl though his Spartans lost to Army, 10-6.
3. Parker and Iowa defensive line coach Reese Morgan are both members of the Lorain (Ohio) Sports Hall of Fame. That’s their hometown, and it’s the hometown of former Hawkeye linebacker Anthony Hitchens, a future Lorain Sports Hall of Fame inductee.
4. Iowa has three pieces of a chess set with (Brandon) Bishop, (Desmond) King and (Romeo) McKnight.
5. As many Hawkeye players are from Palo and Shellsburg as Cedar Rapids (one apiece).
6. Backup Tyler Wiegers had a higher quarterback efficiency rating (142.20) last season than C.J. Beathard (139.52). Of course, Beathard threw 362 passes and Wiegers threw four.
7. Teams Iowa has played more often than Rutgers include Camp Dodge, Camp Grant, Colorado Teachers, the Des Moines YMCA and Wabash.
8. Not all coaches majored in football. Among areas of study in which Iowa’s assistant coaches earned undergraduate degrees: Mathematics, history, government and political science.
9. The Hawkeyes were outscored in the first halves of their last four bowl games by a total of 98-7.
10. OK, I’ll try to balance out that unfavorable stat with this: The Hawkeyes play North Dakota State on Sept. 17. Iowa has an 11-0 record against teams with the word “Dakota” in their names, and has outscored them by a total of 419-29.
11. And this … The Hawkeyes have a 12-game regular-season winning streak. If they beat Miami (Ohio) in their season-opener, it will match their longest regular-season winning streak under Kirk Ferentz. Iowa won the last nine regular-season games of 2002 and the first four of 2003. Iowa also won 12 straight regular-season games over the 2008 and 2009 seasons.
12. And this … Iowa has had at least one pick-6 (an interception return for a touchdown) in each of the last eight seasons. The Hawkeyes had four of them last season. In FBS, only Arkansas State and Buffalo had more. Four Big Ten teams had none.
13. Iowa hasn’t had losing records in two straight Summer Olympics years since 1976 and 1980. The Hawkeyes were 4-8 in 2012.
14. Twenty-two Hawkeye players were members of National Honor Society when they were in high school.
15. Bobby Beathard drafted future NFL Hall of Fame offensive guard Russ Grimm when Beathard was the Washington Redskins’ general manager. C.J. Beathard is Bobby’s grandson. Iowa linebacker Eric Grimm is Russ Grimm’s nephew.
16. Miguel Recinos, who is vying for the Hawkeyes’ placekicking job, made a 58-yard field goal for Mason City High in 2013. It cleared the crossbar by five yards. A Des Moines Hoover player was stationed at the Mason City 10-yard line in case the kick was short. He could only turn around and watch.
17. Iowa has won its last 12 games that were televised by Big Ten Network, dating to Sept. 7, 2013. The Hawkeyes’ next BTN game is against Iowa State on Sept. 10.
18. Iowa’s average home crowd last year was 63,142, its lowest since 2000. That number will go up this season, and probably significantly.
19. Hawkeye freshman defensive back Cedric Boswell is from Beverly Hills. Mich. Iowa has no players from Beverly Hills, Calif. It’s probably just as well. The Beverly Hills (Calif.) High School football team went 1-8 last year and was outscored, 374-75.
20. Beverly Hills High alumni include Nicolas Cage, Angelina Jolie and Lenny Kravitz.
21. That last fact didn’t come from Iowa’s media guide.