CEDAR RAPIDS - This time, there was no need for a comeback. Rather, the Cedar Rapids Rampage were forced to quell a late surge.
Seven different players scored goals as Cedar Rapids led by as many as five goals on two occasions, then staved ... »
Fun Facts will always love and treasure the short-lived Cy-Hawk Trophy in the photo above and will never allow it to go forgotten.
Oh, what a rich vein of comedy it provided. The joy it brought to our lives must never be allowed to fade. The only thing that’s more fun? Fun Facts!
1. Iowa State’s last four wins over Iowa were by 2, 3, 3 and 3 points.
2. Iowa has won its last five regular-season games decided by one score. Iowa State has lost its last five regular-season games decided by one score.
3. Since this series was renewed in 1977 following a 43-year hiatus, the road team has won 20 times and lost 19. The visitor has won the last four meetings.
4. The Cyclones were 13-point underdogs in their last trip to Iowa City and won. They are 15-point underdogs Saturday.
5. Iowa State is 1-10 all-time when playing the No. 16 team in the Associated Press Top 25. Iowa is 16th in that poll.
6. Iowa has won eight straight home games, the fifth-longest such streak in FBS. Iowa State plays at TCU next Saturday. TCU has won its last 14 home games, behind only Florida State (21) and Clemson (16).
7. This game is a sellout. Iowa had one sellout last season, for Minnesota. The Hawkeyes’ home game against Michigan on Nov. 12 also is sold out.
8. Last week, Iowa had 50 offensive plays against Miami (Ohio) and Iowa State had 53 against Northern Iowa. Both were among the sixth-lowest totals of the 128 FBS teams. Stanford’s 49 against Kansas State was the lowest. Like Iowa, Stanford won its game.
9. Of Iowa State’s last 10 losses, it led or was tied in the last five minutes of five of them.
10. Iowa’s Kirk Ferentz is tied with Oklahoma’s Bob Stoops for the longest current tenure at an FBS school, 18 seasons. Iowa State’s Matt Campbell is one of 27 coaches tied for the shortest current tenures at their schools, one season.
11. The Cy-Hawk Series is entering its 13th year. It tracks the head-to-head match-ups in each sport with victories earning points toward the overall series championship. No one ever remembers who wins it.
12. The Cy-Hawk Series ended in a 12-12 tie last year. You didn’t know that.
13. The number 13 isn’t considered unlucky by either team. Iowa has won 13 straight regular-season games. Hawkeyes starting cornerback Greg Mabin wears that number. So do ISU starting receiver Dondre Daley and starting punter Colin Downing.
14. Iowa State is 3-2 over Iowa since 2011. In that same period, the Cyclones are 0-5 against Kansas State and Oklahoma, 1-4 against Baylor, Oklahoma State, Texas and Texas Tech, and 1-3 against TCU and West Virginia.
15. Florida State freshman kicker Ricky Aguayo (21 points) has outscored 36 FBS teams, including Iowa State.
16. It was 102 degrees Fahrenheit at Kinnick Stadium when Iowa State played Iowa there in 1994. Don’t sweat that happening again this year.
17. By car, Ames and Iowa City are roughly 2,270 football fields apart.
18. Both schools have gold among their school colors. Yet, gold mining has never been one of Iowa’s primary occupations.