Oct 17, 2017 at 11:02 am | Print View
Fun Facts had a week off. Apparently, so did Clemson and Washington.
But now it’s Iowa-Northwestern Week, and the Fun Facts are back to work.
1. The Hawkeyes and Wildcats have split their last 22 games.
2. Senior Akrum Wadley of Iowa has 345 rushing yards (115 a game) and seven touchdowns against Northwestern.
3. Senior Justin Jackson is Northwestern’s all-time rushing leader with 4,639 yards. He has 297 of those (99 a game) against Iowa.
4. Another Justin Jackson played basketball at North Carolina last year and was a first-round NBA draftee last June. He is a Sacramento King.
5. Another Justin Jackson started 30 games as a freshman last season for Maryland’s men’s basketball team.
6. Northwestern rushed for just 22 yards against Duke, 25 against Wisconsin.
7. Iowa was a 1-point favorite in its last game at Northwestern, in 2015. The Hawkeyes won, 40-10. As of Tuesday morning, the Hawkeyes were 1-point favorites at MGM Resorts properties in Las Vegas.
8. Northwestern starting redshirt freshman linebacker Paddy Fisher is from Katy, Texas. Paddy from Katy. Paddy’s legal name is Padriac. He leads the Wildcats in tackles.
9. Iowa has outscored its opponents 70-20 in fourth quarters. Northwestern has outscored its opponents 66-32 in fourth quarters.
10. The Hawkeyes have won nine of their last 11 Big Ten road games, but the two losses came in their last three such games.
11. Kuhbander and Niswander. Northwestern’s kicking specialists are freshman place-kicker Charlie Kuhbander and punter Hunter Niswander. Kuhbander is the reigning Big Ten Special Teams Player of the Week. Niswander is Hunter the Punter.
12. Northwestern hasn’t been in a game that was decided by less than nine points. Three of Iowa’s games were decided by one score.
13. No Iowa player has had 100 receiving yards in a game in the last 17 games.
14. Northwestern’s average time of possession is 30 minutes and 23.67 seconds. Iowa’s is 30 minutes and 18.83 seconds.
15. Iowa hasn’t played in front of a crowd smaller than 61,500 this season. Northwestern has played before just one crowd larger than 41,061.
16. Northwestern has played football for 135 years and Maryland for 125. They faced each other for the first time last Saturday, a 37-21 Wildcats win.
17. Jason Benetti will do the play-by-play of this game for ESPN2. He is a television play-by-play announcer for the Chicago White Sox. He earned a law degree at Wake Forest after earning degrees in broadcast journalism, economics and psychology at Syracuse.
18. According to Collegedata.com, the cost of a year of attendance at Northwestern is $70,496.
19. Northwestern has a campus in Qatar.
20. Interstate 80 runs through Evanston. The one in Wyoming, that is.