NBA teams passed on Matt Thomas in June’s draft, but the former Iowa State guard had an impressive showing with the Los Angeles Lakers in the Las Vegas NBA Summer League.
The former Iowa State guard totaled 43 points and made 11 of 12 3-pointers in his final two games. He was the second-leading scorer in the title game for LA, who beat Portland 110-98 despite playing without No. 2 overall pick Lonzo Ball.
Thomas averaged 9.6 points on 62.2 percent shooting in eight games. He was an all-Big 12 honorable mention pick the last two seasons, averaging 12.3 points with 44.5 percent 3-point shooting in 2016-17.
MORE College Mens Basketball ARTICLES TO READ NEXT ...
TOP STORIES FROM THE GAZETTE
- 20 years, no NBA draft first-rounders for Iowa basketball
- World of Outlaws heading to Farley Speedway on Friday
- North Linn's Parker Bechen enjoys return to the diamond after scary head injury
- UI falls behind on reviews of central administrative offices
- ‘March for Our Lives’ proponents meet in Cedar Rapids as part of U.S. tour
- U.S. House Republicans delay immigration vote until next week