Mar 10, 2017 at 12:38 am | Print View
DES MOINES — Capsules on Friday’s games at the boys’ state basketball tournament at Wells Fargo Arena:
Class 4A Semifinals
No. 1 Iowa City West (21-3) vs. No. 6 Cedar Rapids Kennedy (20-5)
Time: 1:30 p.m.
In The Quarterfinals: Top-seeded West had a much tougher time than most everyone thought in overcoming eighth-seeded Newton, 57-51. Kennedy trailed by 21 points in the first half but put together a memorable rally and ousted Dubuque Hempstead, 55-47.
Synopsis: These teams played in the regular season, and West won in a rout, 83-53. As you’d expect, West was led through rough times in the quarterfinals by seniors Connor McCaffery and Devontae Lane, who have combined to start for seven years. They each had 18 points. McCaffery led West in the regular season with a 19.8-point scoring average. Lane was next at 14.8. Sophomore Patrick McCaffery was plagued by foul trouble against Newton and limited to three points, 11 under his season average. Kennedy put four players into double figures against Hempstead, led by Jackson Foley and Derrick Diggins with 14 points each. Forward Drake Brewster was Kennedy’s top scorer in the regular season (14 ppg).
Johnson says: Can Kennedy make up ground from that regular-season game? That’s an awful lot of ground. Patrick McCaffery had 25 points in that game, so look for him to rebound from his quarterfinal output. Kennedy cannot get behind by anything close to 21 points against West and expect to win. West is favored here and will be difficult to beat.
FRIDAY’S OTHER GAMES
* Class 4A semifinals: No. 4 West Des Moines Valley (20-4) vs. No. 5 Sioux City East (22-2), 3:15 p.m.
* Class 1A consolation: No. 1 North Linn (26-1) vs. No. 3 Remsen St. Mary’s (25-1), 10 a.m.
* Class 1A championship: No. 2 Gladbrook-Reinbeck (26-2) vs. No. 5 Grand View Christian (26-1), 6:05 p.m.
* Class 2A consolation: Camanche (23-3) vs. No. 2 Carroll Kuemper (23-3), 11:45 a.m.
* Class 2A championship: No. 1 Western Christian (23-2) vs. No. 6 Pella Christian (22-4), 8:05 p.m.
l Comments: (319) 398-8259; email@example.com