President Donald Trump and others in Congress are proposing tax cuts. Experts have said the cuts will benefit corporate and the wealthy the most and will have little relief for middle and lower class people. We have been down that road before. President Ronald Reagan did the same, saying “A rising tide lifts all boats.” The ‘tide’ raised the yachts and swamped the canoes. George H.W. Bush called it “voodoo economics.” With an annual budget deficit and nearly $20 trillion debt, how can there be talk of cuts? What is wrong with these people?
MORE Letters to the Editor ARTICLES TO READ NEXT ...
TOP STORIES FROM THE GAZETTE
- Alex Johnson, formerly Virginia Johnson of City High, has died
- Body of missing Illinois 5-year-old found in Mississippi River
- Veteran coordinating efforts to bring Freedom Rock to Linn County
- Three arrested after hourslong investigation at Iowa City apartment complex
- As child abuse spikes, UI clinic closes
- Collision closes Highway 100 westbound, sends three to hospital