Bipartisanship: What our country needs now

  • Photo

Since June 16, 2015, when Donald J. Trump announced his candidacy to become the 45th U.S. president, voters have learned he is obsessed with polls. When any Trump number looks good, he touts about it, and when the polls aren’t in his favor, they’re either altered to satisfy his drive to win or someone is blamed.

Right after Trump bypassed GOP leaders to strike a short-term spending deal with Congress’s Democratic leaders, Trump’s popularity numbers increased from 32 to 41 percent — still the lowest mark for modern-day presidents.

In mid-September, the conservative Wall Street Journal and centrist NBC News surveyed Americans about Trump’s performance. The only attribute with majority favorable feeling was Trump’s most recent bipartisan behavior with Democrats (71 percent).

As a centrist with Republican fiscally conservative and pro-business beliefs and Democratic social and civil rights values, I’m pleased to see 71 percent of Americans approve of Trump working in a bipartisanship manner. Any worthy student in an American history class knows USA’s successes that started before the Declaration of Independence and Constitution were signed, and up to today, are due to legislators of varied ideological viewpoints putting their differences aside and agreeing to compromise.

We saw it in the 1980s when President Ronald Reagan (Republican) and House Speaker Tip O’Neill (Democrat) worked across party lines to reform our tax code and protect Social Security. Bipartisanship was repeated in the 1990s when President Bill Clinton (Democrat) and House Speaker Newt Gingrich (Republican) put aside differences to balance the budget.

If 71 percent of Americans value cooperative legislative behavior, the remaining 29 percent are ignorant and flunked their American history class and/or they are staunch Republicans or stubborn Democrats whose heads are stuck in the sand.

Meanwhile, in examining Iowa’s six elected representatives to Washington, D.C., we’ve got a mixed bag of bipartisan legislators. The Lugar Center and Georgetown University’s McCourt School of Public Policy has produced, since 1993, a non-partisan ranking of how often each member of Congress works across party lines.

• Sen. Chuck Grassley (Republican) is ranked the fifth (out of 100) best bipartisan senator on the Lugar Center Bipartisanship Index — an obvious A grade.

• Sen. Joni Ernst (Republican) is ranked No. 31; a B minus grade and on the “needs to improve” list.

• Of the 435 members in the House, we can be proud of Dave Loebsack (Democrat), who’s ranked No. 114 (top 26 percent) and David Young (Republican), who garnered a No. 143 ranking (top 32 percent). Loebsack receives a solid B while Young gets a B minus and “needs to improve.”

• Rod Blum (Republican) has a disappointing bipartisanship ranking of No. 314 (bottom 28 percent) and has earned an F grade. It’s of no surprise Steve King (Republican) is selfish, not a team player, and has a bipartisan index ranking of No. 420; — 15 from the worse of the worse; he’s definitely flunked Congress and his constituents.

Observing how the Republican-controlled Congress can’t even “pass the salt and pepper,” bipartisanship is the only way we’re going to resolve significant issues such as tax reform, infrastructure repair, health care, DACA, immigration reform, budget, $20 trillion deficit, international trade agreements, civil rights protection, women’s inequality, energy grid fortification, foreign policy, cybersecurity and criminal justice reform.

If our president and elected representatives can’t respect ideological diversity, value dialogue, cooperate, compromise and put people before party, then it’s our patriotic duty to kick ’em out of office. Only honorable and mature citizens should represent We, the People.

From an introspective standpoint, where would you rank if the Lugar Center Bipartisan Index were applied to your political values? Must you win at all costs. or can you play fairly with others?

• Steve Corbin is professor emeritus of marketing at the University of Northern Iowa and a district leader in Iowa for the non-partisan and nonprofit group No Labels. Comments: Steven.B.Corbin@gmail.com

Like what you're reading?

We make it easy to stay connected:

to our email newsletters
Download our free apps

Give us feedback

Have you found an error or omission in our reporting? Tell us here.
Do you have a story idea we should look into? Tell us here.