Prosecutors say the law required Chris Soules to stay at the fatal crash to talk with law enforcement 'face-to-face'

'Bachelor' star should have stayed at the scene, they say

Chris Soules

Booking photo
Chris Soules Booking photo

INDEPENDENCE — Prosecutors filed a motion Tuesday saying “Bachelor” star Chris Soules, who crashed his vehicle into a tractor that resulted in the death of an Aurora farmer, should have remained at the scene until law enforcement officers arrived to talk to him face to face, as the law requires.

Soules, 35, of rural Arlington, who is charged with leaving the scene of the fatal crash that killed 66-year-old Kenneth Mosher on April 24, asked the court to dismiss the charge last week. Soules argued that he called 911, identified himself to dispatchers and performed CPR on Mosher before leaving.

He met the requirements of the law and didn’t commit the charge offense, his lawyers said.

But law enforcement authorities said Soules left the crash scene before officers arrived and then refused to leave his home until officers had obtained a search warrant, according to court documents.

Prosecutors, in their motion, said Soules omitted or disregarded part of the law, which “intends to guarantee that law enforcement can have an opportunity for a face-to-face interaction with every driver involved in a fatal collision, as soon as possible, for a variety of obvious and compelling purposes.”

The first sentence in the subsection of the law establishes a clear duty to remain at the scene of fatal accident “except to seek necessary aid or to report the accident to law enforcement,” prosecutors pointed out in their motion.

The defense in its motion argued there was ambiguity in the first sentence of this law because it doesn’t define how long a surviving driver must remain at the scene.

The legislature didn’t intend for a surviving driver to “remain at the scene forever if the driver had no cause to leave to seek aid or notify law enforcement,” according to the defense’s motion.

Soules’s trial is set for Jan. 18.

l Comments: (319) 398-8318; trish.mehaffey@thegazette.com

CONTINUE READING

MORE Most Popular ARTICLES TO READ NEXT ...

CEDAR RAPIDS - It has been six years since the Linn-Mar Lions made the boys' state basketball tournament. That's almost as unbelievable as the nine straight years they made it before that. "I'm ready to go back," said Coach Chris ...

Although world war was the main story of 1918, newspaper pages that fall were replete with stories about people dying and sick from the highly contagious Spanish influenza.In the days before penicillin, the epidemic killed an esti ...

Give us feedback

Have you found an error or omission in our reporting? Tell us here.

Do you have a story idea we should look into? Tell us here.