CEDAR RAPIDS — Police have identified the Cedar Rapids man who was killed in a car versus pedestrian crash on First Avenue Friday night.
Cedar Rapids public safety spokesman Greg Buelow said 71-year-old Michael Gaynor was attempting to cross First Avenue East around 7:16 p.m. Friday near the intersection with Crescent Street when he was hit by a westbound 2002 Kia Sportage. Gaynor was taken to St. Luke’s Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
The driver of the SUV, 26-year-old Britney Marx, was not injured in the collision. No charges have been filed and police said Gaynor was not in the crosswalk when the collision occurred.
MORE Public Safety ARTICLES TO READ NEXT ...
TOP STORIES FROM THE GAZETTE
- 'The Killer Beside Me' TV show features Coralville murder case
- Iowa primary voters will be asked for ID as new law gets soft rollout
- Cedar Rapids Prairie's Levi Usher balances senior season preparation with MLB draft prospects
- 2018 prep baseball preview: Area players and teams to watch
- Time Machine: Cedar Rapids pilot died in last days of WWII
- Nationwide event to provide free dental care to Iowa veterans